Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 2 May 2010)

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Haha! Same thing happened to me in The Oaklands, Hoole (Chester).. went in to have hearty dinner with my sister. I sat down with lovely pint of Spitting feathers Special Ale and waited for my food. 20 mins later my food has come, it was BBQ chicken melt with bacon wrap with hand cooked chips followed by large portion of Chocolate Sponge served with Chocolate sauce..

All in view right front of Weight Watchers class. Couple of women keep glancing of my food!
    I see they have done the Oaklands up , last time i went in was about 7 years ago , no decent beer , a bit of a dump and very dodgy atmosphere , felt like it could kick off at any moment
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

BOTW this week is Colwyn Cloggwyns Gold a bit different from the other beers tried this week and theres something about the name , cant quite put me finger on it

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    I see they have done the Oaklands up , last time i went in was about 7 years ago , no decent beer , a bit of a dump and very dodgy atmosphere , felt like it could kick off at any moment
    They have 3 guest ales and excellent food. Oak panelled everywhere and wooden floors. It's facade is dull light greyish and countryside like pub. Only problem was Gents which was boiling hot with no air containing. My hotel was only few mins walk (Bawn Lodge on Hoole Rd)
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

They have 3 guest ales and excellent food. Oak panelled everywhere and wooden floors. It's facade is dull light greyish and countryside like pub. Only problem was Gents which was boiling hot with no air containing. My hotel was only few mins walk (Bawn Lodge on Hoole Rd)
    We looked at staying at the Bawn Lodge , but apparently the public bar can get a bit rowdy at weekends as its a popular stop off for stag and hen parties on the way into town , though i hear they serve real ale

Easy one for me this week - Kelham Island Pale Rider at the Doric Arch!

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

This week’s winner was always likely to emerge from the Reading Beer Festival, and so it proved. From my hazy memory (as someone stole my programme - you know who you are, Father McGuire)…

Brewdog The Physics
    Durham Ruby
    Iceni Honey Stout
    Otley Dark-O
    Steel City 51st State

BOTW goes to Iceni Honey Stout.

Easy one for me this week - Kelham Island Pale Rider at the Doric Arch!
    Alas, the Pale Rider had already run out by the time I went looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    We looked at staying at the Bawn Lodge , but apparently the public bar can get a bit rowdy at weekends as its a popular stop off for stag and hen parties on the way into town , though i hear they serve real ale

Erm.. You say it is popular stop for Hen/Stag stop off. Given size of Bawn Lodge bar, I don't think they can accommodate large numbers of Hen/Stag parties unless they can survive freezing weather outside
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Erm.. You say it is popular stop for Hen/Stag stop off. Given size of Bawn Lodge bar, I don't think they can accommodate large numbers of Hen/Stag parties unless they can survive freezing weather outside
    One of the lads from work stayed up the road at the Dene on a stag do and said they stopped there a few times on the way in to town along with another group of lads they met , he raved about the cocktails , then again he is a lager drinker and it was July

[QUOTE=aleandhearty;12468]Very little to choose from this week- a couple of pints of indifferent Landlord, a pint of Rudgate 'Ruby Mild' served too cold,

Why do they insist on serving a good real ale so damn cold: we were in thr Grange at Boreham in Essex on Saturday-beers were good and as they should be, but too cold. Fine when they'd warmed up a bit, but it wasn't as if we were in the middle of a heat wave!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Why do they insist on serving a good real ale so damn cold:
    I know. Absolutely drives me nuts. I've been building up to a thread on this for a while. Basically, I think drinkers need to become a little more pro-active, but I'll explain in the thread.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.