Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London Midland £10 ticket - Liverpool

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Default London Midland £10 ticket - Liverpool

Have printed voucher for the £10 London Midland ticket offer, and plan to do a pub crawl round Liverpool with it on Sat 5.3.11.

Are there any new pubs to put on the list that may not be in the 2011 Good Beer Guide?

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Well thought out Gill - no football there that day.
    Can't help with suggestions - never been. Did consider it for my 'Great Escape' but would take too long for a day. Limited to Rugby & Northampton combo next week instead.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Well thought out Gill - no football there that day.
    Not quite right, don't forget Marine are at home to Retford Utd!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

As far as new pubs/bars go I think the only one I found on my October 2010 visit was the Bier Keller, although it did disappoint a bit. It's also reminded me that I still have to write up my Liverpool reviews so I have no remedied that for The Bier Keller

The Rose & Crown was all keg but they were advertising real ales coming soon. I was a bit disappointed with the Belvedere, Blackburne Arms and the Caledonia. Favourites were probably Ye Cracke, The Grapes, Vernon Arms, The Dispensary and the Swan Inn, but I imagine you know all of those. The thing about a days crawling in Liverpool is that there are so many good pubs you want to visit that you're less inclined to go exploring.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I have the CAMRA Real ale pubs map and it is brilliant for plotting favourite pubs on. Has pictures of all the pubs listed too. I think they put one out every year as I have 3 different ones now. Wish every town/city could do likewise as it is so much better than putting a book out of the pubs every so many years. These can be picked up free in the pubs and are so useful.

I have looked for the ones you have told me about that I haven't visited before and have started highlighing them on the pub map. Should be a great day out.

Just plotted 20 pubs onto the CAMRA map of those I have been to before, and those recommended here. Two very distinct areas. Not sure which Grapes you meant (Matthew St or Roscoe St) Both new for me so I have put both down to look into.

Listed are Baltic Fleet, Belvedere, Crown Hotel, Dispensary, Dr Duncans, Everyman Bistro, Fly in the loaf, Grapes x 2, Head of Steam, Lion Tavern, Peter Kavanaghs, Philarmonic, Rigby's, Roscoe Head, Ship & Mitre, Swan Inn, Vernon Arms, White Star and Ye Cracke.

Phew. Won't get round them all but will try to get to old favourites and put some of the new ones in.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Just plotted 20 pubs onto the CAMRA map of those I have been to before, and those recommended here. Two very distinct areas. Not sure which Grapes you meant (Matthew St or Roscoe St) Both new for me so I have put both down to look into.

It'll be the Grapes in Roscoe St, it's far superior to one in the Matthew St and very close to the Pilgrim and Ye Cracke. I'd stick to the White Star if I was in the Cavern Quarter, the Welkin gets no better of course. You haven't got the Globe (Cases St) on your list.

The Dale St crawl is still the best area for good beer with side trips to the Poste House and the Lion, not sure what the Railway next to the Lion is like these days. The GBG lists the best although still with a couple of howlers, with all that choice why put in less than good pubs?

I have 28 on my list now. Looks like we need to go twice! Think our best bet will be to concentrate on pubs we haven't been to before and pop old favourites in if we pass them. Whatever happens, I am really looking forward to the day.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

It's not just football to watch out for Gill. London Midland are having a bit of overtime trouble with ASLEF, so there may be some alterations - check their disruptions page for the latest, although things seem to be a little more reliable than the first time I checked a couple of weeks back.

Of course, you may be aware of all this but, in case others are planning their own Great Escapes, the information may be useful.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    London Midland are having a bit of overtime trouble with ASLEF,
    Total chaos yesterday laid waste to the Rugby/Northampton combo meaning, in order to ensure we didn't miss England France, we stayed in Rugby. What a good pub the Victoria is.
    Coming back to London was just as bad & we successfully (phew!) jibbed a Virgin train, leaving time for a debrief in Euston Tap and Doric Arch, like I needed more beer at that stage...