Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoons and Micro Pubs

The list shows me at 43 JDWs (a shamefully high figure) with av rating at 4.9 .
    Regarding micro pubs , iv'e not trawled through my contributions pages but can only recall two in the last year, The Radius Arms and The Bookshop Alehouse giving me a total 4 ,I must do better on that score.
    Just a thought that occurred to me ,Are The Euston Tap and its sibling Micro pubs? Thinking on it I don't see why not.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post

Just a thought that occurred to me ,Are The Euston Tap and its sibling Micro pubs? Thinking on it I don't see why not.
    This is a tricky one as I haven't been to either. The easiest answer is do the owners regard them as micropubs? Points against would be amplified music and the sale of standard keg or spirit products. Aren't they part of a chain of station bars? That isn't really in the spirit of micropubs. The fact they are small is COMPLETELY irrelevant. If a JDW scrapped the food, spirits, bandits, TV screens and mainstream keg offerings they could theoretically claim to be a micropub.

The link shows 62 'Spoons although I don't review every pub I visit never mind every 'Spoons. Micropubs are a little more difficult as the definition is variable but I reckon it's 34 including six in Middlesbrough, 4 in Burton, 3 in Halifax and 2 in each of Kidderminster and Southport. So some way to go to reach the 284 listed on the micropub association website (http://micropubassociation.co.uk/).....hmm perhaps there's a challenge in there .

Are The Euston Tap and its sibling Micro pubs? Thinking on it I don't see why not.
    I wouldn't call Harrogate Tap York Tap or Sheffield Tap micro pubs just small and with some of the ethos. I can't comment on the London and Manchester variants.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    So some way to go to reach the 284 listed on the micropub association website (http://micropubassociation.co.uk/).....hmm perhaps there's a challenge in there .
    It presents different problems as a challenge. The main one is opening hours. The one in Coalville only opens in the evening even on a Saturday. Last Saturday I turned up to the Copper Pottle in Herne Bay to find it had shut half an hour early as they were open late for New Years Eve. When I was in Melton Mowbray recently the one there didn't open on a Saturday afternoon.
    The other challenge is finding them. I failed to spot the one in Stalybridge even though I must have walked past it more than once!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots;85110 So some way to go to reach the 284 listed on the micropub association website ([url
    http://micropubassociation.co.uk/[/url]).....hmm perhaps there's a challenge in there .
    Sounds like Aqualung will need a new challenge soon after ticking off the last few 'spoons
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Sounds like Aqualung will need a new challenge soon after ticking off the last few 'spoons
    It's a long way off! I'm hoping to get round the awkward Scottish ones this year, Borders, Wick, Oban and Fort William. Wick is "interesting" as it's something like a 12 hour train journey from London.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's a long way off! I'm hoping to get round the awkward Scottish ones this year, Borders, Wick, Oban and Fort William. Wick is "interesting" as it's something like a 12 hour train journey from London.
    I see it's over 4 hours just from Inverness to Wick ,hope to buffet bar is decent and the lavs are working

I admire your dedication
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

The list shows me at 43 JDWs (a shamefully high figure) with av rating at 4.9 .
    Regarding micro pubs , iv'e not trawled through my contributions pages but can only recall two in the last year, The Radius Arms and The Bookshop Alehouse giving me a total 4 ,I must do better on that score.
    The Euston tap is a bar so no micropub but maybe a microbar.

This Space For Hire

Hawick pronounced Hoyck.One syllable.Spent a memorable night drinking and then fighting with the locals at the one and only dancehall in the town. Still pulled even with the bruises and cuts.Happy days.