Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Near-ish to London crawls

  1. #1
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,809

    Default Near-ish to London crawls

    I seem to have over-used the better beer areas in concentric rings ever further afield from London, incl Chelmsford, Reading, Brighton, Snorbans etc. Anyone have a suggestion (behave!) for, say, a 5 (4+) pubber within striking distance of the capital?

    I thought about a return to the Harlow-Sawbridgworth-Allen's Green route, as it's the 3rd Sat of the month for minifest at Queens Head, if they still do that, but I couldn't get so lucky with buses a 2nd time! I wouldn't mind Carshalton's Hope, but there's not a great deal to go with it... Colchester was disappointing last visit.

    Thanks! tm

  2. #2
    On The Road To Somewhere Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    There abouts
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I seem to have over-used the better beer areas in concentric rings ever further afield from London, incl Chelmsford, Reading, Brighton, Snorbans etc. Anyone have a suggestion (behave!) for, say, a 5 (4+) pubber within striking distance of the capital?

    I thought about a return to the Harlow-Sawbridgworth-Allen's Green route, as it's the 3rd Sat of the month for minifest at Queens Head, if they still do that, but I couldn't get so lucky with buses a 2nd time! I wouldn't mind Carshalton's Hope, but there's not a great deal to go with it... Colchester was disappointing last visit.

    Thanks! tm
    From my end of things, forget Basingstoke,Aldershot and Camberley, Not much in Woking, Farnham and Alton not too bad but think you have already done that, Dorking, a couple or three, How about Guildford, a few there amongst the dross but a bit of legwork between them.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  3. #3
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    How about Guildford, a few there amongst the dross but a bit of legwork between them.
    really? I'd have to have another look round there, never found owt worthwhile except the quick bus to Puttenham's Good Intent, and a random walk past Hogs Back brewery further along ending up in a pub hosting a Bikers wedding, fine stuff if somewhat bizarre!

  4. #4
    Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Into Kent, Tunbridge Wells , Faversham, Whitstable, Dover has a few new Micro pubs, Metro Line up into Bucks, Amersham, Rickmansworth, Chesham, loads in Dorking.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

  5. #5
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I seem to have over-used the better beer areas in concentric rings ever further afield from London, incl Chelmsford, Reading, Brighton, Snorbans etc. Anyone have a suggestion (behave!) for, say, a 5 (4+) pubber within striking distance of the capital?

    I thought about a return to the Harlow-Sawbridgworth-Allen's Green route, as it's the 3rd Sat of the month for minifest at Queens Head, if they still do that, but I couldn't get so lucky with buses a 2nd time! I wouldn't mind Carshalton's Hope, but there's not a great deal to go with it... Colchester was disappointing last visit.

    Thanks! tm
    The current GBG also has the Sun and Windsor Castle listed for Carshalton and it's not that far from Sutton or Wallington. Wallington has a Spoons and an Antic pub right by the station. The Antic pub like many trendy newer pubs doesn't open until 16:00 unless you are going on a Saturday or Sunday.
    Have you been to Hertford?
    Don't go to Harlow it's hell on earth.
    Sawbridgeworth has a couple of pubs but it's a walk from the station.
    Have you considered Berkamsted or Leighton Buzzard?
    Billericay?
    Last edited by Aqualung; 15-10-2015 at 22:07.

  6. #6
    On The Road To Somewhere Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    There abouts
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    really? I'd have to have another look round there, never found owt worthwhile except the quick bus to Puttenham's Good Intent, and a random walk past Hogs Back brewery further along ending up in a pub hosting a Bikers wedding, fine stuff if somewhat bizarre!
    Yeah, nothing to major in the extreme beer stakes , but for pubs I have quite enjoyed , The Kings Head, The other Kings Head,The Keep is a bit different,also of interest maybe The Royal Oak, Star Inn,White House and possibly The George Abbot.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  7. #7
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Have you been to Hertford?
    Don't go to Harlow it's hell on earth.
    Sawbridgeworth has a couple of pubs but it's a walk from the station.
    Have you considered Berkamsted or Leighton Buzzard?
    Billericay?
    Yes, not keen on McMullens though...
    Hehehe..., 1st thing we did was get a bus away from Harlow town...
    Dropped from another bus in Sawbo
    Yep, done both those, incl the newish excellent (Red Squirrel?) outlet on Berko high st
    Wow!?

    Re Sutton/Wallington, a big area that I still think needs a big injection of worthwhile pubs :0(
    Also the Addingtons - where do folk drink round there..?

  8. #8
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Into Kent, Tunbridge Wells , Faversham, Whitstable, Dover has a few new Micro pubs, Metro Line up into Bucks, Amersham, Rickmansworth, Chesham, loads in Dorking.
    TW surprisingly good on 1st visit last year and have been back. Faversham, done (sheps), Whitstable & Dover rather outside the distance brief Mm, though I note quicker services if starting via HS1 at StP...

    RB's Dartford stomping ground would be perfect travel, but reports fall just short of required enthusiasm for the hostelries. Gillingham, Gravesend, Rochester, remain vague targets for return.

    cheers all...

  9. #9
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Yes, not keen on McMullens though...
    McMullens are a joke. I've not been to either local ones for years and they are all on my AVOID list.

    Billericay has two Gray's pubs and a reasonable Spoons all GBG listed plus the Billericay Micropub tap but don't go on a really hot day.

    Maldon has a couple of Gray's pubs, a new Spoons and a new micropub. There is also a Sheps pub. You need to get a bus from Chelmsford and there is a third Gray's pub on the outskirts as you enter the town. There is a fourth Gray's Hotel that I'm not sure about.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 15-10-2015 at 23:47.

  10. #10
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    TW surprisingly good on 1st visit last year and have been back. Faversham, done (sheps), Whitstable & Dover rather outside the distance brief Mm, though I note quicker services if starting via HS1 at StP...

    RB's Dartford stomping ground would be perfect travel, but reports fall just short of required enthusiasm for the hostelries. Gillingham, Gravesend, Rochester, remain vague targets for return.














    cheers all...
    Canterbury might be a bit far, though Javelin remarks apply. Bit studenty though. Some good kent beers available, but haven't been for a while.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Similar Threads

  1. Pub Crawls
    By Al 10000 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13-01-2011, 22:16
  2. Pub Crawls
    By Conrad in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15-10-2009, 15:05
  3. Pub Crawls
    By Conrad in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-09-2009, 13:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •