Ads not shown when logged in
Page 40 of 63 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: How much?

Most of the pubs I've been to since 12 April have maintained previous prices (Raven Inn £2.70, Fat Cat £2.80, Sheffield Tap £3.60), but the Kelham Island Tavern seems slightly more expensive (£3.30); Cutlers Arms in Rotherham (Chantry Brewery) has gone up from £2.50 to £3, and Stancill Brewery's Closed Shop has gone up from around £2.80 to £3, £3.10 or £3.20. Most of the beer I bought during lockdown was not from supermarkets, so I don't see these prices as a problem. I do agree with Nick Davies that charging more to take away from a hatch in a plastic glass is a bit cheeky.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Of the six of so pubs we've sat outside lately everywhere was more than £4 a pint. Fair enough if they've staffed up appropriately to provide efficient table service, I'm not so sympathetic if you're made to queue up at a hatch and they use plastic glasses. Or are made to faff around on your phone.
    Oh for the return to the £4.00 pint! One of my last pre-lockdown pubs charged me £5.40 for a pint of Guinness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    If that was the case I wouldn't be going there unless it was absolutely unavoidable.
    If things like hatch service, phone-faffing (especially if you have to order each pint from the pub's website and plastic cups are on the cards, I think I'd rather stay at home.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I do agree with Nick Davies that charging more to take away from a hatch in a plastic glass is a bit cheeky.
    What annoys is that those who reserve a table on their heated terrace get full table service and glass glasses, the passing trade queue at a hatch to sit on picnic benches with plastic beakers. Anywhere else in the world those enjoying full service would also enjoy a 20% service charge or a different set of prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    If things like hatch service, phone-faffing (especially if you have to order each pint from the pub's website and plastic cups are on the cards, I think I'd rather stay at home.
    Wise choice.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

This Space For Hire

I have always foung Reading to be cheap for beer compared to London but on my midweek visit found little difference.
    nags head - north riding -citra £4.40 that's okay
    allied arms -vale -kitten kong 4.4 £4.80 bit dear
    allied arms -binghams -vanilla stout £5 bit dear and poor quality beer
    3 guineas -dark star-hophead £5.20 very dear for what is a weak beer and pretty tasteless

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have always foung Reading to be cheap for beer compared to London but on my midweek visit found little difference.
    3 guineas -dark star-hophead £5.20 very dear for what is a weak beer and pretty tasteless
    Some of these prices would be outrageous for London even under the current circumstances. I paid £4.80 for a pint of Ilkley Lotus (5.9%) at The Lord Tredegar last October - indoors, in a glass made of glass.

This Space For Hire

£5.70 for Purity Session IPA here this afternoon. The alternative was Doom Bar at £4.15, some of us have standards, but why writing "craft" on the badge gets another thirty bob on the ticket price is beyond me. Cask Mad Goose would have been £4.55 if they had any.

Oh and you have to prod the heater every five minutes to get respite from the bitter east wind; I'd have thought the prices M&B are after would pay for the heaters to be running full tilt 24x7.

Oh and you have to prod the heater every five minutes to get respite from the bitter east wind; I'd have thought the prices M&B are after would pay for the heaters to be running full tilt 24x7.
    But don't bring your own... as calmly reported by The Sun: PUB PANIC Two women feared to have ‘life-changing injuries’ after heater EXPLODES in village pub beer garden.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Three Guineas whacked prices up to London levels after the refurb a couple of years back - the Fullers beers are still just about tolerable but anything that isn't has a 20%+ premium. Prior to that, the Allied was, for many years, the most expensive cask pub in town. 'Reassuringly expensive' (was the Vanilla Stout poor quality in the sub-Good Beer Guide quality sense?)

The Nags prices have gone up by 10-20p - which was likely to have happened pandemic or no pandemic, I imagine.

If Humph wasn't such a moron he'd get the Lower Ship open in town and make a killing; Spoons have a monopoly on the cheap end of the market in RG1.
    Last edited by Quinno; 26-04-2021 at 22:57.

This Space For Hire

Cask Mad Goose would have been £4.55 if they had any.
    £4.00 for same in The Lady Hamilton last 4th July.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The Three Guineas whacked prices up to London level...
    After second lockdown, Guinness cost £5.40 in this below average place, now made up to look like an airport departure lounge bar. I hate to think what prices will be like in Zone 1-2 when I get back in pubs next month.
    Last edited by Tris39; 27-04-2021 at 18:13.