Ads not shown when logged in
Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: How much?

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    They remove all the craft beers from the keg pumps and all the bottles from the fridges.Only mainstream lagers and guiness all £4.80 a pint.
    I'm not surprised to hear that otherwise it would be difficult. I assume wines and spirits are taken off as well. Re Wembley it's well documented that the Spoons there does something similar. I don't know if it includes events at the Arena as well. If you're going to an event the answer is to find somewhere a few train stops away from the event. My parents used to live in Wembley and there has never been anywhere worth going. It's a disaster area!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'm not surprised to hear that otherwise it would be difficult. I assume wines and spirits are taken off as well. Re Wembley it's well documented that the Spoons there does something similar. I don't know if it includes events at the Arena as well. If you're going to an event the answer is to find somewhere a few train stops away from the event. My parents used to live in Wembley and there has never been anywhere worth going. It's a disaster area!
    I went to Twick for a beer fest at the Sussex Arms.We tried 5 pubs before the fest and only found Doom,Naked Ladies and Badger beers so did not stop in any of them.The Brewery Market bottle shop(which I really like) was closed as they sell takeaway beer so were not allowed to open 2 hrs before or 2 hrs after the game.After fest went to Richmond but it was mobbed and gave up after trying 2 pubs where the barstaff could not cope with the amount of drinkers.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I wonder, do you complain about pubs near sporting events because they're horrible, or do you complain because they put their prices up?

I must admit the former trumps the latter and I'd be perfectly content to pay £6 or more for a pint if I could enjoy it in comfort.
    I complaint about blatent profiteering.Never happy to pay £6 a pint although I often do (keg)and would not pay £6 for a cask beer no matter how good a pub is.I vote with my feet.If I think a pub is charging too much (and that varies a lot) I stop using it altogether or use it infrequently.My local microbrew pub charges £4.40 _£5.00 depending on the strength which I think is a rip off for beer brewed on -site so have only used it twice in last 3 months.His loss.Plenty of cheaper pubs around my way.

I complaint about blatent profiteering.Never happy to pay £6 a pint although I often do (keg)and would not pay £6 for a cask beer no matter how good a pub is.I vote with my feet.If I think a pub is charging too much (and that varies a lot) I stop using it altogether or use it infrequently.My local microbrew pub charges £4.40 _£5.00 depending on the strength which I think is a rip off for beer brewed on -site so have only used it twice in last 3 months.His loss.Plenty of cheaper pubs around my way.
    I agree with you completely on this but I think the point Nick is making refers to pubs being ruined by sporting events in the same way that pubs get ruined at Christmas. The Great Western isn't that close to the Wolves ground but attracts a huge number of supporters if there is a match. They're friendly enough but there are just too many of them. Oh, and I never drink Bathams there! I'm pretty sure they don't hike their prices but wouldn't know about the JDW or others.
    I pay £6.00 locally at Xmas for cask Dark Star Imperial Stout but that's 10.5%!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I agree with you completely on this but I think the point Nick is making refers to pubs being ruined by sporting events in the same way that pubs get ruined at Christmas. The Great Western isn't that close to the Wolves ground but attracts a huge number of supporters if there is a match. They're friendly enough but there are just too many of them. Oh, and I never drink Bathams there! I'm pretty sure they don't hike their prices but wouldn't know about the JDW or others.
    I pay £6.00 locally at Xmas for cask Dark Star Imperial Stout but that's 10.5%!
    I don't actually get Nicks point.Maybe he can clarify.

This Space For Hire

I don't actually get Nicks point.Maybe he can clarify.
    I said "I'd be perfectly content to pay £6 or more for a pint if I could enjoy it in comfort."

Clarification: Nick would rather pay extra to enjoy a drink in comfort rather than endure it in a hellhole.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I said "I'd be perfectly content to pay £6 or more for a pint if I could enjoy it in comfort."

Clarification: Nick would rather pay extra to enjoy a drink in comfort rather than endure it in a hellhole.
    Agreed ,but it would have to be a quality drink at that price.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Paid £2.75 for a half of rather good Tiwickenham-manderina sky locally and when I queried the price it was £4.50 a pint or £5.50 for two halves.My local paper warned of a lot of robberies in the Northfield //Hanwell area recently.Wonder if this was what they were eluding to.

This Space For Hire

Paid £2.75 for a half of rather good Tiwickenham-manderina sky locally and when I queried the price it was £4.50 a pint or £5.50 for two halves.My local paper warned of a lot of robberies in the Northfield //Hanwell area recently.Wonder if this was what they were eluding to.
    Had a similar experience the other night in The Sekforde. Bought a pint of One Mile End's Salvation Pale Ale (a 4% Pallid Pale Pint) for £5.00. Then tried the Long Man's Best Bitter (Boring Brown Beer) at what initially seemed a reasonable £4.00 but later bought a half and it cost £2.50!

Then went to The Fox & Anchor and got fleeced £5.20 for a pint of the fruit salad that is Wandle!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Had a similar experience the other night in The Sekforde. Bought a pint of One Mile End's Salvation Pale Ale (a 4% Pallid Pale Pint) for £5.00. Then tried the Long Man's Best Bitter (Boring Brown Beer) at what initially seemed a reasonable £4.00 but later bought a half and it cost £2.50!

Then went to The Fox & Anchor and got fleeced £5.20 for a pint of the fruit salad that is Wandle!
    Wandle for £5.20 should rename it as Swindle or Scandal.