Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: How much?

£2.50 recently for a half of the house beer in the Blind Beggar called Beggars Belief ,It was very pale and around the 3.8% mark (which is ok with me) but had all the taste of tap water. It did what it said on the can, beggard belief This pub is not flash in anyway ,but boasts a decent history,reason to rip the punters off? I think not.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    £2.50 recently for a half of the house beer in the Blind Beggar called Beggars Belief ,It was very pale and around the 3.8% mark (which is ok with me) but had all the taste of tap water. It did what it said on the can, beggard belief This pub is not flash in anyway ,but boasts a decent history,reason to rip the punters off? I think not.
    The staff there told me that the Beggars Belief was brewed by Greene King, but I've since been told that it is actually Jennings Cumberland Ale. Either way, it's a rip off for a beer of any kind, not least one that's 4% and can be found the length and breadth of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    The staff there told me that the Beggars Belief was brewed by Greene King, but I've since been told that it is actually Jennings Cumberland Ale. Either way, it's a rip off for a beer of any kind, not least one that's 4% and can be found the length and breadth of the country.
    I found a few links to it being brewed by Jennings, the beer I was served was far paler than Cumberland Ale, watered down maybe, it certainly tasted like it,it was rubbish anyway .
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Thus 25p a pint extra on the difference between a 4% pint and a 6.5% pint. If you are working to a 66% margin, not unreasonable in central London unless you own the freehold that's 75p +VAT = 90p over the counter. OK not entirely accurate because you've probably got extra manufacturing costs for a stronger beer and conversely there's reclaimable VAT to offset. But I stand by my point that a 6.5% beer is likely to be quid a pint more than a 4% beer assuming a 66% GP.
    Nick ,I understand what you are saying about GK mark up but this is a pub that always sold cheaper beer than the rest of the local pubs.If a beer cost 25 p more to buy they charged 25p extra.I find it hard to take when a pub bumps its prices up.I wouldn't complain if its a new to me pub that charges top whack as its up to them and up to me if I pay it.I t felt like an old friend stiching me up.

At the opposite end of the scale, on a pub crawl around Wrexham all the beer was priced between £2.20 and £2.75 including stronger beers. If you wished to drink John Smith's crap, you can get that for £2 (I passed because that's £2 too much!). It is hard to pay more than £3 in Wrexham.
    It is not because it's "Oop North" because Chester, 15 miles further Oop North is at least 50p dearer, and according to RobCamra's North/South line, Wrexham is in the South!
    In Wetherspoons, ALL the beers were £1.95 so I got 3 pints for £4.35 with my Camra tokens.
    When I fancied a BITE to eat, the Chicken Curry and free pint was £5.90 (I sat at table 42 and was served by blonde Janice with a nice smile )

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    In Wetherspoons, ALL the beers were £1.95 so I got 3 pints for £4.35 with my Camra tokens.
    When I fancied a BITE to eat, the Chicken Curry and free pint was £5.90 (I sat at table 42 and was served by blonde Janice with a nice smile )
    And is it a big pub and will you go back there next time you are in Wrexham?
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    That would be the lower festival price and it's the same as my local one in E4 where the normal standard guest price is now £2.10. Northern Spoons are not necessarily all that cheap although many are.
    Some London outlets are only charging £1.99 for the festival even when the standard guest ale price is £2.49.
    I could have had a pint of Jaipur for £1.99 in Surbiton last Saturday.

Where is the North / South divide in Wales??

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

On top of a mountain in Powys!
    I would draw a line across the thinnest part from the most Westerly English border to the nearest point to the sea, but to avoid half of Aberystwyth's pubs being in the North and the other half in the South, I would slant the divide up to the old Dyfed/Gwynedd border on the River Dovey estuary.

This puts Wrexham in the frozen North, but pricewise, it makes little difference in Wales because I can't imagine the Taffs of the Welsh valleys paying a pound or so more for their beer!

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    That would be the lower festival price and it's the same as my local one in E4 where the normal standard guest price is now £2.10. Northern Spoons are not necessarily all that cheap although many are.
    Some London outlets are only charging £1.99 for the festival even when the standard guest ale price is £2.49.
    I could have had a pint of Jaipur for £1.99 in Surbiton last Saturday.

In the Eccles Cross, Eccles, all of the real ales are currently £1.59, down from £1.69 a few weeks ago. Pretty remarkable in this day and age.

This Space For Hire

Got charged £5.15 for Darkstar -green hop in the Craft beer co Covent garden tonight. Superb beer.