Ads not shown when logged in
Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: How much?

Real Ale Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Fairly sure I saw a 6%+ pint for £1.99 in the Stockton Wetherspoons, but was sticking to Shipyard before I saw some throughput. That was standard price too - maybe we should have a "how cheap?" topic!

I used to think Elland 1872 Porter was cheap at £2.99 in Paramount Wetherspoons in manc...
    Big Bog Quagmire 6% for £1.55 a pint in Gold Cape Wethers, Mold. Yes please.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Britain's most expensive pint.

'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    How annoying that the Daily Mirror uses the US spelling of draught. In Newcastle Under Lyme the owner of the Hopwater Cellar was showing me some spirit strength beers produced by freezing rather than distillation so still technically beers. I din't remember any figures but these were many times more expensive than this.
    How ironic that the pub involved was a Watney's pub called the Glue Pot aka the Glue Sniffer.

This Space For Hire

Tried 2 Fullers and Friends collab beers on cask in The Admiralty £5.45 a pint.Tourist trap or justifiable due to the view over Trafalgar Square?
    Both flat and not very good.With friends like these who needs enemies
    Last edited by london calling; 05-09-2018 at 20:12.

This Space For Hire

Wetherspoons Kingston

1 pint of oakham -green devil keg
    2 pints -oakham -black hole cask
    1 pint -oakham -attilla cask
    1 500ml bottle brains -atlantic white
    1/2 -hoogartden keg
    1 330 ml tin yeasty boys -ipa
    1 tin 330 ml -innis and gun -mangoes on the run
    cost £19.80

the Ram Kingston

4 pints Fourpure -shapeshifter ipa keg
    cost £24

As stated in my recent review, the cask beer at The Crown Hotel had just ran out so I ordered half of Guinness. While it was settling, the barmaid came over and said "£3 please". I questioned the price and she assured me that it had always been £3. Asking the price of a pint, I was told £3.60. I said I would have a pint instead. She poured my pint fresh from the tap and gave the half away to a regular for free!

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    As stated in my recent review, the cask beer at The Crown Hotel had just ran out so I ordered half of Guinness. While it was settling, the barmaid came over and said "£3 please". I questioned the price and she assured me that it had always been £3. Asking the price of a pint, I was told £3.60. I said I would have a pint instead. She poured my pint fresh from the tap and gave the half away to a regular for free!
    This is a pet hate of mine! I see no valid reason to overcharge for a half, other than rounding to the nearest 10p for round figures. Some places just take the proverbial.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Staggering!!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Staggering!!
    £3.60 a pint is staggering.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    This is a pet hate of mine! I see no valid reason to overcharge for a half, other than rounding to the nearest 10p for round figures. Some places just take the proverbial.
    Out of interest, what's your view on the widespread practice of offering a double measure of spirits for, say, a quid more than a single? And wine by the glass is seldom pro-rata the bottle price. Then there's free refills of soft drinks or coffee.

The valid reason is the cost of service is at least equal to the cost of the ingredients, and you are paying the marginal cost for the other half pint or shot of gin or whatever.

Be that as it may, I agree, it does seem to grate more with beer than anything else, possibly thanks to an older, now largely forgotten tradition, of posting prices by the half.