Ads not shown when logged in
Page 18 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: How much?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The ONLY Adnams beers I don't care for are Broadside and Old which they have changed to what tastes to me like a watered down Broadside.
    Certainly the Old isn't a patch on what it once was. Given the choice, I'd go for Harveys or Long Man.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Yes it was fine, as was the second one I had in Wanstead later at an outrageous £2.19! It's probably meant to be their winter ale.
    I have had it a couple of times at the White Horse parsons green old ale fest.Last time about 5 years ago and didn't like it.Really tasted strongly of alcohol and would have been £8 or £9 a pint (I wasn't paying for it)Rare beer apparently and sought after but now on sale at £2.19 or could this be a different version.I am sure it had a year on it so possibly barrel aged.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have had it a couple of times at the White Horse parsons green old ale fest.Last time about 5 years ago and didn't like it.Really tasted strongly of alcohol and would have been £8 or £9 a pint (I wasn't paying for it)Rare beer apparently and sought after but now on sale at £2.19 or could this be a different version.I am sure it had a year on it so possibly barrel aged.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they or the brewery had stored it. I came across it again today in Harrogate which is an expensive town and full of Bloody Tourists (not the LP).

London prices are getting sillier and sillier, I thought Camden Town was bad enough the other day, but today in Shoreditch I paid £4.70 for a pint of Dark Star Hophead here, that sort of money for a 3.8% cask beer is quite frankly ridiculous, a downer in a pub I otherwise quite liked.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    London prices are getting sillier and sillier, I thought Camden Town was bad enough the other day, but today in Shoreditch I paid £4.70 for a pint of Dark Star Hophead here, that sort of money for a 3.8% cask beer is quite frankly ridiculous, a downer in a pub I otherwise quite liked.
    Ale was a lot cheaper in Stockport
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I know that pub from way back in the 1970s. A group of us were searching for real ale outlets for the first edition of Real Beer In London . It was a run down Whitbread pub that I think had one of their beers on gravity. Being a Sunday night the place was empty. I'm not sure but the beer MAY have been from their Chiswell Street brewery. Only a bit later it became one of the early CAMRA orientated Free Houses along with the Anglesea Arms in SW7 and the Carpenters Arms near Marble Arch, plus a few others that I've forgotten. It used to sell Abbot and Ruddles County when 5% beers were rare. It wasn't particularily cheap then but it was pre Wetherspoon days.
    I last went in over 25 years ago and thought it was rubbish. I can't think of any good reason to visit that area today.

This Space For Hire

Not listed in my 1975 edition. As you say it moved on, in 1981 we have "six bitters and one mild always on handpump from a total range of about 50 different beers." I surprised they could, without huge effort, source 50 different beers back then.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Not listed in my 1975 edition. As you say it moved on, in 1981 we have "six bitters and one mild always on handpump from a total range of about 50 different beers." I surprised they could, without huge effort, source 50 different beers back then.
    Two or three beers from each brewery would mean trading with around twenty different breweries. Assuming a few came from the Big Six that would be quite feasible. I remember they once did a mild festival with around a dozen milds. Some of the new brewers were running by then, Ringwood and Exmoor I'm sure.

An excellent pint of beer, but £5.00 for a pint of Five Points Railway Porter, here , is beyond the pale, so to speak.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I paid £3.00 for a pint of Holden's Old Ale in this tied house yesterday. It's 7.2%, a proper Xmas drink.