Ads not shown when logged in
Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: How much?

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Not sure if mentioned previously but the Cock Tavern offered an Imperial Stout by "Howling Hops" on draught tonight for £4.00 a third. Before you turn in your graves, this monster was 11.5% and was a rich, complex, dark chocolate beaut and there was more than enough served in the measure it was served in. Yes, a pint would set you back £12, but there's no way you'd want to drink a pint of this (and then carry on drinking!)
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Sounds reasonable to me.
    Indeed a similar sized glass of cheap pub wine will cost you that so it seems fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Indeed a similar sized glass of cheap pub wine will cost you that so it seems fair enough.
    Surely that isn't a valid comparison? Wines and spirits have their own rates of duty (which I don't actually know the details of) and wine is stored for longer than beer making it more expensive to produce.
    The Salopian brewery tap sell their 7.0% ABV Automaton on keg for £3.40. To keep things simple let's just double that to get £6.80 for the equivalent of a 14% abv pint. If we added the cost of a cask 5% or 4.5% abv pint there then it would be the same equivalent abv at just 20p over half the cost. That doesn't make Howling Hops look reasonable to me in any way. This is a company that won't sell pint measures at their brewery tap in Hackney Wick. Why? To make the rip off prices look better value of course!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Surely that isn't a valid comparison? Wines and spirits have their own rates of duty (which I don't actually know the details of) and wine is stored for longer than beer making it more expensive to produce.
    The Salopian brewery tap sell their 7.0% ABV Automaton on keg for £3.40. To keep things simple let's just double that to get £6.80 for the equivalent of a 14% abv pint. If we added the cost of a cask 5% or 4.5% abv pint there then it would be the same equivalent abv at just 20p over half the cost. That doesn't make Howling Hops look reasonable to me in any way. This is a company that won't sell pint measures at their brewery tap in Hackney Wick. Why? To make the rip off prices look better value of course!
    The Cock is quite happy to sell cask beer for £4 a pint and making £3 gross profit.They probably bought that beer for £3 a pint so should sell for £6 a pint add on a £1 for extra vat so £7.No that's too simple and unprofitable.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Cock is quite happy to sell cask beer for £4 a pint and making £3 gross profit.They probably bought that beer for £3 a pint so should sell for £6 a pint add on a £1 for extra vat so £7.No that's too simple and unprofitable.
    Standard Gross Margin in pubs is 60% so that's £7.50 plus VAT (if the £3 is ex-VAT), making £9 retail.

However average strength cask wholesales at £70-90 ex VAT per nine gallons or £0.98 to £1.25 a pint (not including wastage). That's a retail price of £3.75 at 60% GM, I have no idea of the wholesale price of stuff like Clearwater or other pricey beers

As someone once said beer is just a mix of commodity grains, weeds and fungus so shouldn't cost that much .

I paid £1.89 (festival price) for a pint of the 7.2% Adnams Tally Ho in this Greater London JDW yesterday. This is the only Southern JDW I can think of with a standard guest ale price under two quid.

I paid £1.89 (festival price) for a pint of the 7.2% Adnams Tally Ho in this Greater London JDW yesterday. This is the only Southern JDW I can think of with a standard guest ale price under two quid.
    Was the beer any good?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Was the beer any good?
    Yes it was fine, as was the second one I had in Wanstead later at an outrageous £2.19! It's probably meant to be their winter ale.

Yes it was fine, as was the second one I had in Wanstead later at an outrageous £2.19! It's probably meant to be their winter ale.
    Dunno if you are a homebrewer,but Ron Pattinson has been featuring 19th Century recipes for TallyHo on is blog. I've never had it from the cask, but was impressed years back by the bottled version.Mind you,I'm often impressed by Adnams.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Dunno if you are a homebrewer,but Ron Pattinson has been featuring 19th Century recipes for TallyHo on is blog. I've never had it from the cask, but was impressed years back by the bottled version.Mind you,I'm often impressed by Adnams.
    I hadn't tried it for donkey's years, so long I can't even remember where or when. It may well have been from a cask on the bar, a practice which has thankfully died out.
    The ONLY Adnams beers I don't care for are Broadside and Old which they have changed to what tastes to me like a watered down Broadside. They are one of the few old regionals that haven't completely lost the plot, sold out, put TVs in all their pubs or priced themselves so high that they aren't worth bothering with.