Ads not shown when logged in
Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: How much?

This Space For Hire

I have twice now been caught in Greene King London pubs with a half of Wimbledon SW19 at £3.30, far higher than the adjacent pumps serving IPA, Abbot etc. I suspect that they are pricing some guests in the same band as the overpriced keg craft stuff. And as guest ales rarely make it on to price lists (assuming there is one) there is no way of seeing what the price is before ordering. A very worrying trend as normally you can rely on handpumped beer being similarly priced, allowing extra for stronger beers of course. Latest offender was the Duke of York. NOTE - apologies to the latter (which didn't have any non-GK beers); it was in fact the Shakespeare's Head
    Last edited by Pangolin; 21-08-2019 at 22:22.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I have twice now been caught in Greene King London pubs with a half of Wimbledon SW19 at £3.30, far higher than the adjacent pumps serving IPA, Abbot etc. I suspect that they are pricing some guests in the same band as the overpriced keg craft stuff. And as guest ales rarely make it on to price lists (assuming there is one) there is no way of seeing what the price is before ordering. A very worrying trend as normally you can rely on handpumped beer being similarly priced, allowing extra for stronger beers of course. Latest offender was the Duke of York.
    Utterly insane profiteering by Greedy King and a price far from which I've ever encountered. However, if drinking in the world's most expensive residential area and in close proximity to Bond Street and the very, very, very rich people who live, work and shop here, not to mention the rich tourists shopping here, if a drinker wants to get hit hardest of all...drink in this location.

I have twice now been caught in Greene King London pubs with a half of Wimbledon SW19 at £3.30, far higher than the adjacent pumps serving IPA, Abbot etc. I suspect that they are pricing some guests in the same band as the overpriced keg craft stuff. And as guest ales rarely make it on to price lists (assuming there is one) there is no way of seeing what the price is before ordering. A very worrying trend as normally you can rely on handpumped beer being similarly priced, allowing extra for stronger beers of course. Latest offender was the Duke of York.
    Obscene springs to mind.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Obscene springs to mind.
    Perhaps, but hardly just a Greene King issue?

This Space For Hire

Tandleman on his blog referred back to 2001 when he reviewed a bottle of Marstons -double drop 5.0 he had bought at Tesco,s for £1.29.Shows how little the price of supermarket beer has increased in the last 18 years.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Utterly insane profiteering by Greedy King and a price far from which I've ever encountered. However, if drinking in the world's most expensive residential area and in close proximity to Bond Street and the very, very, very rich people who live, work and shop here, not to mention the rich tourists shopping here, if a drinker wants to get hit hardest of all...drink in this location.
    I fully expect prices to be high in the vicinity but the annoyance was that IPA and Abbot were in fact averagely priced and there was no obvious reason why the adjacent beer should be nearly a pound more expensive, and without warning.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Perhaps, but hardly just a Greene King issue?
    Not at all, but obscene all the same.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Tandleman on his blog referred back to 2001 when he reviewed a bottle
    of Marstons -double drop 5.0 he had bought at Tesco,s for £1.29.Shows how little the price of supermarket beer has increased in the last 18 years.
    You're right here. Tesco prices are now £1.70 for mostl bottles and multi=buys 4 for six quid.
    I'm not prepared to go to London pubs other than JDW or two local ones which are still under four quid a pin#t one only due to CAMRA discount. I'm not sure that I've been to either this year/.
    Proper London pubs just aren't worth the ridiculous prices they charge.

This Space For Hire

I fully expect prices to be high in the vicinity but the annoyance was that IPA and Abbot were in fact averagely priced and there was no obvious reason why the adjacent beer should be nearly a pound more expensive, and without warning.
    Try The Tapping the Admiral if you've not already been. I've not visited for a year, but a good standard pint was about £3.80 and that's before the 30p CAMRA discount. And it made a brief appearance in the film Breaking Glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Try The Tapping the Admiral if you've not already been. I've not visited for a year, but a good standard pint was about £3.80 and that's before the 30p CAMRA discount. And it made a brief appearance in the film Breaking Glass.
    Good pub, though not been back for ten months, It was the last pub I went in before I had my heart attack a few hours later, must have been the shock of the prices.
    -W.C.Fields