Ads not shown when logged in
Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: How much?

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Wild weather - banana split imp stout 13.0 £15 ,a pint in the weather station reading tonight on cask
    Wow, surprised they would be selling that by the pint(?) but I suppose, if we think of a 13% wine, a bottle for £15 would be very reasonable in a pub, and an absolute steal in a restaurant...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Wow, surprised they would be selling that by the pint(?) but I suppose, if we think of a 13% wine, a bottle for £15 would be very reasonable in a pub, and an absolute steal in a restaurant...
    Definitely not designed to drink by the pint but I guess some nutters do, pricing by the pint is a unit we can easily equate to I suppose.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Definitely not designed to drink by the pint but I guess some nutters do...
    I remember describing how I recruited my daughter and her boyfriend to share a half of Steel City x Brasserie Fantome Taxi Vader, a 20% hors catégorie beer at Shakespeares in Sheffield before the first lockdown. The bar staff very kindly provided extra glasses so we all had one-sixth of a pint, which works out at 1.89 units of acohol. I can't remember what the half pint cost. Aqualung commented on here that he only ever drank pints. I hesitate to call him a nutter, as he is no longer here to defend himself (or accept it as a compliment). I do recall that he described an occasion, possibly at the William the Fourth in Leytonstone, when he drank a pint of something too strong and then went home and set fire to his kitchen. We may draw our conclusions.
    Come On You Hatters!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I do recall that he described an occasion, possibly at the William the Fourth in Leytonstone, when he drank a pint of something too strong and then went home and set fire to his kitchen.
    Excellent, though did he suggest that to be a related one-off, or could it have been a regular occurrence..?

I remember describing how I recruited my daughter and her boyfriend to share a half of Steel City x Brasserie Fantome Taxi Vader, a 20% hors catégorie beer at Shakespeares in Sheffield before the first lockdown. The bar staff very kindly provided extra glasses so we all had one-sixth of a pint, which works out at 1.89 units of acohol. I can't remember what the half pint cost. Aqualung commented on here that he only ever drank pints. I hesitate to call him a nutter, as he is no longer here to defend himself (or accept it as a compliment). I do recall that he described an occasion, possibly at the William the Fourth in Leytonstone, when he drank a pint of something too strong and then went home and set fire to his kitchen. We may draw our conclusions.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I do recall that he described an occasion, possibly at the William the Fourth in Leytonstone, when he drank a pint of something too strong and then went home and set fire to his kitchen. We may draw our conclusions.
    Certainly, but it wasn't this.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Definitely not designed to drink by the pint but I guess some nutters do, pricing by the pint is a unit we can easily equate to I suppose.
    Cask beer tends to be priced by the pint but £5 a third doesn't make it any cheaper.Had a lovely half of Elb- imperial stout 10.0 in the Hackney tap probably £5.50 a.pint.Mentioned to the manager that this beer would be a hard sell but he told me that there were only a few pints left in the firkin.He came outside and sat with me talking beery things and then said the beer which was in great condition had been on for 10 days.Iwas amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Cask beer tends to be priced by the pint but £5 a third doesn't make it any cheaper.Had a lovely half of Elb- imperial stout 10.0 in the Hackney tap probably £5.50 a.pint.Mentioned to the manager that this beer would be a hard sell but he told me that there were only a few pints left in the firkin.He came outside and sat with me talking beery things and then said the beer which was in great condition had been on for 10 days.Iwas amazed.
    I had almost the exact same conversation about this beer, in this pub, presumably with the same manager, back in early May! I was already well into a session, so opted for something else, but he gave me a taster and it was great, although a whole pint might've tested my enjoyment.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I had almost the exact same conversation about this beer, in this pub, presumably with the same manager, back in early May! I was already well into a session, so opted for something else, but he gave me a taster and it was great, although a whole pint might've tested my enjoyment.
    Probably the same firkin as it was about a month ago.
    Last edited by london calling; 13-06-2022 at 21:20.

Hit a new PB yesterday in the Beer Merchants Tap, £6.50 a 1/3, I don't regret it though, Pohjala Liquid Pinata.jpg , gorgeous. Certainly a sipping beer though. Liquid Pinata description.jpg
    -W.C.Fields