Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: london brewery to close

This Space For Hire

Default london brewery to close

Sad news as tomorrow is the last brewing day at the Stag brewery Mortlake.Will be much missed and fondly remembered for Watneys -red barrel,then Hosten,then Fosters and for quite a few years now Budweiser.They were also guilty of brewing Watneys -fined bitter which they hoped would revive the Watneys name but sadly it was gut wrenching stuff. I shed a tear not.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Sad news as tomorrow is the last brewing day at the Stag brewery Mortlake.Will be much missed and fondly remembered for Watneys -red barrel,then Hosten,then Fosters and for quite a few years now Budweiser.They were also guilty of brewing Watneys -fined bitter which they hoped would revive the Watneys name but sadly it was gut wrenching stuff. I shed a tear not.
    I went on a CAMRA visit here years ago. I think it was post Fined Bitter. In the sample room everyone ordered Ruddles County which they had acquired the rights to even though it bore little resemblance to the original.

Sad days indeed, was this not the home of the much lamented Starlight Bitter, a beer anyone could drink in double figures of pints without any hint of drunkeness but with the most horrible of hangovers the following day? Truely a beer that captured the 1970s without dismissing the achievement of Watneys Red or indeed Watneys Red Barrel, all together now "and bloody Watney's Red Barrel; Torremolinos - Torremolinos......" Am I mistaken in remembering a court case for some sort of drunkeness where the defendants were acquitted on the grounds that as they were drinking cans of Watneys Light Ale they couldn't possiblly have been drunk? Still Watney's Tampax Bitter wasn't actually that bad in 1977 when the BIG SIX got on the Real Ale band wagon for the first time. Ahh those happy days when we knew exactly who made good beer and who didn't........sigh.

This Space For Hire

I think Starlight was what went in Party Sevens. You could get a gadget involving Sparklets bulbs to pump it out and pretend you were in a pub. My grandad had one.

You did get a degree of pissedness from Starlight - I started out on it at about 15. The old boys always said the light headedness came from the thinning of the blood due to the amount of fluid rather than any alcohol content, and you could achieve the same effect with water, should you be mad enough to sit down to a gallon or so of it. Errr...hang on...

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I think Starlight was what went in Party Sevens. You could get a gadget involving Sparklets bulbs to pump it out and pretend you were in a pub. My grandad had one.

You did get a degree of pissedness from Starlight - I started out on it at about 15. The old boys always said the light headedness came from the thinning of the blood due to the amount of fluid rather than any alcohol content, and you could achieve the same effect with water, should you be mad enough to sit down to a gallon or so of it. Errr...hang on...
    Adding washing up liquid helped, so I was told...
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Sad news as tomorrow is the last brewing day at the Stag brewery Mortlake.
    I do remember the GBG one year pointing out that as Mortlake effectively translates as "Dead Water" it was based in the right place.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 10-10-2015 at 09:20.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I do remember the GBG one year pointing out that as Mortlake effectively translates as "Dead Water" it was based in the right place.
    That made me laugh.Never realised the connection.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 10-10-2015 at 09:20.