Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - September 2015

Default Pub Of The Month - September 2015

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This month I am going for The Camel as POTM and it makes a good double header with the Florists Arms a 150 yards or so down the road .
    Its just a straight forward back street boozer with a beer range that can be unremarkable at times (Sambrooks), but despite being quiet on a Tuesday afternoon it had a certain ambiance, the same as on a much busier weekend visit a couple of years ago. I like it.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 03-10-2015 at 10:13.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

My pub of the month is a Southern one out in the sticks. The Cricketers at Berwick is a classic old Harvey's pub set just off the A27 between Polegate and Lewes. It's overlooked by the scarp slope of the South Downs, behind which is a more gentle descent into Seaford. The cellar is a room behind the bar where the beer is dispensed straight from the casks. Nowadays this room is temperature controlled but certainly didn't used to be.
    Being very rural it does rely heavily on food but certainly isn't a gastropub. In some ways it is like a large micropub with no noise from TVs, music or fruit machines. The gardens front and rear are huge with enough seating for far more people than they could comfortably cope with. I first came here over thirty years ago and apart from the cellar room and a more elaborate food offering it has hardly changed.

POTM Cricketers Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    My pub of the month is a Southern one out in the sticks. The Cricketers at Berwick is a classic old Harvey's pub set just off the A27 between Polegate and Lewes. It's overlooked by the scarp slope of the South Downs, behind which is a more gentle descent into Seaford. The cellar is a room behind the bar where the beer is dispensed straight from the casks. Nowadays this room is temperature controlled but certainly didn't used to be.
    Being very rural it does rely heavily on food but certainly isn't a gastropub. In some ways it is like a large micropub with no noise from TVs, music or fruit machines. The gardens front and rear are huge with enough seating for far more people than they could comfortably cope with. I first came here over thirty years ago and apart from the cellar room and a more elaborate food offering it has hardly changed.

POTM Cricketers Berwick
    Yes, a true classic.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

My POTM: The Bull Inn ,a Wealden classic.(Note to self,not every pub's a classic.)
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

This month I'm plumping for the Ty Coch Inn, Morfa Nefyn, on the Llyn peninsula, North Wales. Probably one of the most isolated pubs I've ever visited, but worth the walk round the bay for the beachside setting. Sitting in the late summer sunshine, listening to the gentle breaking of the waves and gazing on the heather covered hills, in the distance, whilst sipping a pint of Purple Moose, was pure bliss.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    This month I'm plumping for the Ty Coch Inn, Morfa Nefyn, on the Llyn peninsula, North Wales. Probably one of the most isolated pubs I've ever visited, but worth the walk round the bay for the beachside setting. Sitting in the late summer sunshine, listening to the gentle breaking of the waves and gazing on the heather covered hills, in the distance, whilst sipping a pint of Purple Moose, was pure bliss.
    Sounds nice.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

The Angel Alehouse

I always felt that Atherstone was one of those towns with a lot of pubs,but nowhere to get a decent pint.That's all changed now
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 05-10-2015 at 12:30. Reason: poor sentence construction
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Sounds nice.
    Yes, it was. However, I was really surprised at the relative lack of pubs in that part of Wales. As we were driving along, I kept saying if this was Yorkshire there'd be a pub there! My best guess was the rise of Methodism in Wales in the 18/19th century? If Alan Hurdle reads this perhaps he can offer a few answers.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    My best guess was the rise of Methodism in Wales in the 18/19th century? If Alan Hurdle reads this perhaps he can offer a few answers.
    Yes, the Llyn peninsula area was the last to hold out regarding pubs opening on Sundays - completely hypocritically as most of those voting could be found in the bar of their local golf club/wmc or whatever, which were exempt from the no-opening rule. In a different lifetime we used to have an annual jaunt to play golf at Morfa Neffyn; really cannot recall the pub scene at all.