Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub facilities and data geekery

At the end of the day, a GBG entry only means that the pub is one favoured by CAMRA members in the geographic area and is one of a quota - sometimes pubs with less good ale are used to fill the quota, while in other areas pubs with first class beer and excellent cellar standards are omitted because the quota has been exceeded or even worse, the landlord has fallen out with the local branch.

I would far rather trust the judgement of some of the people on this site - many of whose reviews have proven spot-on when it comes to beer quality - than I would a book which is out of date as soon as it is published and whose totality is questionable.

Yes, I am a CAMRA member, yes, I have written some of GBG's entries, no I won't toe the party line if I think it's wrong.

The valid point from Aqualung about there being too many options got me thinking.

From the perspective of the user experience there can definitely be too many options, it can be messy and confusing and eventually counter productive. Yes I agree that a lot may not care if a pub is GBG listed or if it has Cask Marque.

However I am a data geek
    As far as I'm concerned there's no limit to the amount of discrete bits of information about a pub I can have available. Ideally I'd like to be able to build in a system whereby you can look at a town and I'll be able to list the pubs in order of how likely you are to be interested in them, clearly it would never be perfect, but it could be interesting. Expect some geeky posts to follow as and when I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    To me Cask Marque has always meant ,approach with caution and more often than not expect cold unexciting beer.
    Interesting one, I've just done a quick analysis of your ratings, this isn't perfect and is based on somewhat out of date info:-

Average rating of pubs with no real ale: 4.83
    Average rating of pubs with real ale: 6.34
    Average rating of Cask Marque pubs: 5.83
    Average rating of non Cask Marque real ale pubs: 6.60

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Interesting one, I've just done a quick analysis of your ratings, this isn't perfect and is based on somewhat out of date info:-

Average rating of pubs with no real ale: 4.83
    Average rating of pubs with real ale: 6.34
    Average rating of Cask Marque pubs: 5.83
    Average rating of non Cask Marque real ale pubs: 6.60
    That is interesting ,thanks Dave, also nice to know I don't talk total bollocks all the time.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I've never taken any notice of Cask Marque and have little knowledge of the exact working of it although I understand the principles involved.
    Surely a GBG option in pub details would be a breach of copyright. It would also need constant updating. If you're going to specify year of entry how far do you go back?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    That is interesting ,thanks Dave, also nice to know I don't talk total bollocks all the time.
    I suppose that depends on whither you are rating the pub or just the beer a la Whatpub.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    At the end of the day, a GBG entry only means that the pub is one favoured by CAMRA members in the geographic area and is one of a quota....
    To be fair to the dear old campaign, of which I too am a member, there is a move towards a more objective system based on Whatpub scores - long way to go but it's moving in the right direction

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I suppose that depends on whither you are rating the pub or just the beer a la Whatpub.
    I always rate the pub,not the beer,the pub always comes first,then the beer,i do if possible drink real ale,which i have been doing from my late teens.

It would be interesting to have that sort of data for all members to look at,also what happened to the graph thingy you were on about doing Dave.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Good point, for me now its 50/50, pub used to rule but beer choice is now beginning to have a major say in the matter.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    It would be interesting to have that sort of data for all members to look at,also what happened to the graph thingy you were on about doing Dave.
    Good point, I was going to do a table of ratings something like this I believe.