Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pub facilities and data geekery

Hybrid View

Default Pub facilities and data geekery

I've split some posts out from the bar billiards thread as it seemed like a nice idea to not let that one drift off topic completely.

We started discussing the pub facilities stuff in a more general way from this point....

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Reviving this thread has made me think - Dave, can you set-up another facilities filler that picks out 'bar billiard' for us (me!) to tick off?
    Do you mean a tool for checking reviews for a mention of 'bar billiards' like I did for real ales? Something like http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/tools/ch...?pagefacid=107 (there are only 20 that need checking)
    Last edited by Dave M; 02-10-2015 at 20:01. Reason: clarify the split from another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Do you mean a tool for checking reviews for a mention of 'bar billiards' like I did for real ales? Something like http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/tools/ch...?pagefacid=107 (there are only 20 that need checking)
    That's the one!

All done

Might be worth rolling out some others? I know I'm bang up-to-date reviews-wise (until tomorrow!) and am happy to do some clicking-through on categories...

This Space For Hire

Does a current check of facilities get undertaken as I've revisited bar billiards pubs to find they've been removed...

Also the potential to search for Cavery and add them as a facility?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Might be worth rolling out some others? I know I'm bang up-to-date reviews-wise (until tomorrow!) and am happy to do some clicking-through on categories...
    Feel free to stab at any of these, if there are others you'd prefer then I can try to set them up.

Pool table
    Dogs
    Karaoke
    Quiz night
    Beer Garden
    Pinball

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Does a current check of facilities get undertaken as I've revisited bar billiards pubs to find they've been removed...
    Not as such, the hope is that in those situations you'd just switch it to no. This tool only checks pubs where it is currently set to unknown.

Also the potential to search for Cavery and add them as a facility?
    It is certainly something I've considered, may get added at some point in the future.

This Space For Hire

I had gone down in numbers from 107 and found the other searches. The idea of 3900+ pool table references fills me with dread...

On a side note I got 2016 GBG Sat Nav POI file in varying formats do you want to make a http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-feat...eek-free-pint/ style link for those to assist none Camra members to pubs in the guide or is that some sort of copyright issue?

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    I had gone down in numbers from 107 and found the other searches. The idea of 3900+ pool table references fills me with dread...

On a side note I got 2016 GBG Sat Nav POI file in varying formats do you want to make a http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-feat...eek-free-pint/ style link for those to assist none Camra members to pubs in the guide or is that some sort of copyright issue?
    Is there a danger of having just too many options?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Feel free to stab at any of these, if there are others you'd prefer then I can try to set them up.

Pool table
    Dogs
    Karaoke
    Quiz night
    Beer Garden
    Pinball

Not as such, the hope is that in those situations you'd just switch it to no. This tool only checks pubs where it is currently set to unknown.

It is certainly something I've considered, may get added at some point in the future.
    OK so in an idle moment where I wanted to pass time but also concentrate on conversation, I clicked on these links - and apparently they have been completed! Can this be true? There were 1000's for garden when I last checked months back...

At the end of the day, a GBG entry only means that the pub is one favoured by CAMRA members in the geographic area and is one of a quota - sometimes pubs with less good ale are used to fill the quota, while in other areas pubs with first class beer and excellent cellar standards are omitted because the quota has been exceeded or even worse, the landlord has fallen out with the local branch.

I would far rather trust the judgement of some of the people on this site - many of whose reviews have proven spot-on when it comes to beer quality - than I would a book which is out of date as soon as it is published and whose totality is questionable.

Yes, I am a CAMRA member, yes, I have written some of GBG's entries, no I won't toe the party line if I think it's wrong.

The valid point from Aqualung about there being too many options got me thinking.

From the perspective of the user experience there can definitely be too many options, it can be messy and confusing and eventually counter productive. Yes I agree that a lot may not care if a pub is GBG listed or if it has Cask Marque.

However I am a data geek
    As far as I'm concerned there's no limit to the amount of discrete bits of information about a pub I can have available. Ideally I'd like to be able to build in a system whereby you can look at a town and I'll be able to list the pubs in order of how likely you are to be interested in them, clearly it would never be perfect, but it could be interesting. Expect some geeky posts to follow as and when I have time.

Also in the spirit of geekery, I've been keeping my own records and have a mean score of 5.68 and a mode of 6. 1SD is around 274. This includes values recorded on the other side and the Gibralter/CI pubs which aren't on the main site, so may be different to the ones on PuG, but it would be interesting to see the difference.