Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Cinque Ports Arms, New Romney

Default Cinque Ports Arms, New Romney

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16512/

The current name has a minor spelling error - should be "Ports" not "Port"

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Eta,

We have corrected the name of The Cinque Ports Arms.

That has now left me wondering if whenever a pub refers to arms it is actually talking about armaments? That is probably going to intrigue me for the rest of the day now

Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Hi Eta,

That has now left me wondering if whenever a pub refers to arms it is actually talking about armaments? That is probably going to intrigue me for the rest of the day now
    As in "The Canne of Wurms is a good place to buy illegal arms"? Isn't more to do with heraldry than weaponry?

An oft-missed piece of history in Salisbury Market square is a building which, I believe, used to be a pub where traders met "At The Sign Of The Duchess of Albany" on Ox Row for a drink and a chat. The address has persisted but not the pub. Other, similar places would have been something like "The Sign of the Earl of Pembroke", or "The Arms of the Earl..." which became "The Earl of Pembroke's Arms", now just "The Pemroke Arms". I dare say that in 10 years' time it will just be "Pembrokes", or, more likely, "The Taj Mahal Pizza Kebab Grill and Diner".