Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 25 Apr 2010)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Not actually had a beer yet this week, hoping to get a few in over the weekend albeit bottled.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Blimey, so no hopes for the weekend then Alesonly and Hoppy?
    Sadly I'm not allowed too drink now for the rest of the week as I'm on duty and will be will working on late turns till Saturday night.
    So no more Beer this week. I will make up for it Sunday.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

No pub for me this weekend , but i will make up for it next week , 3 days off and a weekend in Chester
    BOTW easy as i have only had 3 pints all good though , Wye Valley Butty Bach
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

[QUOTE=Oggwyn Trench ;12068]No pub for me this weekend

Me too, though I've got time off for good behaviour next Saturday. I've had 2 exceptional bottles recently: Dark Star's Imperial Stout and Gadd's Oyster Stout. Both (a bit) out of my regular comfort zone, but these are beers to savour and relax with. Interestingly, the Gadd's uses Fuggles, together with 6 types of malt. I'm not really a stout drinker, though I was "prescribed" Mackeson's as a young child:apparently I was a sickly brat and needed building up.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

[QUOTE=Wittenden;12092]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    No pub for me this weekend

Me too, though I've got time off for good behaviour next Saturday. I've had 2 exceptional bottles recently: Dark Star's Imperial Stout and Gadd's Oyster Stout. Both (a bit) out of my regular comfort zone, but these are beers to savour and relax with. Interestingly, the Gadd's uses Fuggles, together with 6 types of malt. I'm not really a stout drinker, though I was "prescribed" Mackeson's as a young child:apparently I was a sickly brat and needed building up.
    Not had Mackeson for years , used to drink it when playing pool in me dinner hour (the only other chose was Ansells Keg Bitter or lager) might try it again when im out on Wednesday
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Another close run thing, for a while George Wright "Drunken Duck" was out in front (that man just can't make a bad beer) but then another St Georges Day special took the honours - Saltaire Dark Dragon, a dark malty bitter very different to their usual hoppy brews and quite reminiscent of Jennings Cumberland in its heyday, but with more hops.

JDW Frestival ales to date - still 0.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I must put the Okells Alt as BOTW. Not all the pubs selling it had the good quality but I could have stayed with it at the White House in Peel, and the Terminus Tavern in Douglas. Superb.

Some good 'uns this week but have generally stuck to 'Spoons Fest beers. Triple FFF Rock Lobster, Davenport Beer Hunter and Bank's Morrells Oxford Blue all worthy of a mention and a non-'Spoons beer last night, Cathedral Rentgius, was also pretty decent but I'm going for shock tactics this week and opt for Hawkshead Lakeland Lager as my BotW, not only because it was a very enjoyable and surprisingly good pint but also I'll probably never get another chance to pick a lager without compromising the BotW thread!

I tried the Hawkshead Lager on Saturday in our local JDW and thought it was pretty good as well.

However this weeks BOTW is going to be from Nook Brewhouse in Holmfirth. I've had both the Red and the Best now and they're both very good.

I had the Red two weeks ago, but the Best just edges it for me.

BOTW Nook Brewhouse Best.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Enjoyed very well kept Triple fff Alton Pride and Dark Star Saison in The Charles Lamb,Islington but my BoTW was Oakhams 12 Monkeys consumed in quantity in The Criterion,Leicester.Intensely bitter straw coloured ale,with a grapefruit taste. Once you finished a pint,another was demanded and it simply flew out of the glass.Oakham also supply the Criterion with Bishops Farewell but normally this get snapped up in one session.Oakham Brewery employs mystery shoppers to test their ale quality in the pubs they supply,now there's a job.........