Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Taylor Walker Camra discount

This Space For Hire

Default Taylor Walker Camra discount

I swear they are getting worse, you have to watch them like a hawk.

A bit of a busy evening last week in a fearsomely expensive Knightsbridge pub. 7 1/2 pint round . First round got bought, card was produced, usual argy bargy explaining what it was, punter assumed correct discount was given. Next round, muggins here's turn, got given a receipt. 22p discount. ie 10% off the half, none off the other seven pints which would have been about three quid. It required the attendance of the manager to sort this out, including refunding all the money and paying again. Once we'd settled down examination of the receipt revealed the discount applied was applied to 6 1/2 pints. Couldn't be bothered to go through it all again. Next round, everyone now keyed up to insist on receipt, different barmaid, similar flap, completely different discount applied. By then it was getting hazy, as was the beer, three pumps had gone off while we'd been there, and I went home, but I gather that wasn't the last of it.

Moral: always insist on a receipt in TW pubs if you want your Camra discount - which can easily be 45p a pint and not to be sneezed at.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 25-08-2015 at 20:22.

I was in a TW pub recently, and although I got my full 10% off the price of the beer (from £4.50 down to £4.05) they did knock 40% off the volume of the beer! The bar manager saw what had happened before I had to explain the concept of the full pint to the foreign barmaid, but I reckon it was easily the shortest measure I have ever been served with!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glassblower Beer.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	1256

This Space For Hire

I do hold out hope that when GK finally install their own management staff engagement will improve, even if the beer choice doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Moral: always insist on a receipt in TW pubs if you want your Camra discount.
    Of course there is my option of not using them at all!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Of course there is my option of not using them at all!
    A bit difficult when seven out of the nine nearest pubs to work are TW - a reminder of Grotneys domination of that part of SW London

A bit difficult when seven out of the nine nearest pubs to work are TW - a reminder of Grotneys domination of that part of SW London
    At least they don't just sell Grotneys!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    At least they don't just sell Grotneys!
    You sometimes wonder if they give a toss, they're just going through the motions, the "75% of the trade is tourists who'll never come back so who cares" mentality. In a smaller city most of them would have been long closed with that sort of attitude.

I've switched to Wifebeater more than once in London TW pubs due to poor beer quality. I'm sure they only have one cellar man for every dozen or so pubs who goes round each morning. If a pump goes off in the evening it stays off for the night, no-one ever does anything but turn the clip. If it's getting late you may well have a choice of manky Pride or equally manky Doombar.

You sometimes wonder if they give a toss, they're just going through the motions, the "75% of the trade is tourists who'll never come back so who cares" mentality. In a smaller city most of them would have been long closed with that sort of attitude.

I've switched to Wifebeater more than once in London TW pubs due to poor beer quality. I'm sure they only have one cellar man for every dozen or so pubs who goes round each morning. If a pump goes off in the evening it stays off for the night, no-one ever does anything but turn the clip. If it's getting late you may well have a choice of manky Pride or equally manky Doombar.
    Agree up to a point, but I would say that the beer choice and quality have generally both improved over the last five years.