Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 91

Thread: Derby in November

  1. #21
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I think most of the Northern contingent will have done Derby a few times so we'll have no problem with pubs outside the ring road, there are of course a few don't miss pubs in the centre for those new to the city The Brunswick Inn and The Alexandra Hotel amongst them. These are of course the start/finish pubs due to their location.

    My favourites would be the two above plus,Furnace Inn, The Flower Pot, Exeter Arms, Silk Mill Ale & Cider House.

    Remarkably I've never been in the The Babington Arms (JD Wetherspoon) and a few others that come recommended are:

    Falstaff Tavern
    Greyhound Inn
    The Peacock Inn
    The Smithfield
    The Tap
    Little Chester Ale House A micropub in the Little Chester area but there's also Coach & Horses nearby if we wanted a shift system.

    Soupy and myself recorded a visit in 2009 here, that thread has a few other ideas especially from Hopwas (I wonder how he's getting on).
    Interesting reading yours and Soup Dragon's proto-crawl. I agree with you about the start and finish points - this is one crawl where the Spoons is too far from the station to make a convenient meeting place. And the Brunswick opens at 11 anyway, so who needs Spoons?

    The Little Chester micro is perhaps a little too far out - especially with the Coach & Horses acting as a kind of substitutes bench. It's half a mile from the Peacock and then another half mile to the Furnace afterwards.

    Suggested route:

    Brunswick (11 until 11:45ish)
    Smithfield (opens at 12)
    Exeter (wild card: Tap)
    Peacock
    Furnace
    Five Lamps (wild card: Horse & Groom)
    Mr Grundy's (wild card: Greyhound)
    Golden Eagle (if thirsty on the way to the next pub!)
    Flower Pot
    Dolphin (wild card: Silk Mill)
    Babington Spoons
    Alexandra

    That's 12 plus wild cards, so possibly needs a little trimming, or some pubs relegating to wild card status. I've left out Falstaff and Bell & Castle from my original suggestion, as too far away from the others.

    What think you?
    Come On You Hatters!

  2. #22
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oxford Canal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Interesting reading yours and Soup Dragon's proto-crawl. I agree with you about the start and finish points - this is one crawl where the Spoons is too far from the station to make a convenient meeting place. And the Brunswick opens at 11 anyway, so who needs Spoons?

    The Little Chester micro is perhaps a little too far out - especially with the Coach & Horses acting as a kind of substitutes bench. It's half a mile from the Peacock and then another half mile to the Furnace afterwards.

    Suggested route:

    Brunswick (11 until 11:45ish)
    Smithfield (opens at 12)
    Exeter (wild card: Tap)
    Peacock
    Furnace
    Five Lamps (wild card: Horse & Groom)
    Mr Grundy's (wild card: Greyhound)
    Golden Eagle (if thirsty on the way to the next pub!)
    Flower Pot
    Dolphin (wild card: Silk Mill)
    Babington Spoons
    Alexandra

    That's 12 plus wild cards, so possibly needs a little trimming, or some pubs relegating to wild card status. I've left out Falstaff and Bell & Castle from my original suggestion, as too far away from the others.

    What think you?
    Sounds like a sensible starter for 10, does this route require a plus bus ticket ,or is it walkable ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  3. #23
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Sounds like a sensible starter for 10, does this route require a plus bus ticket ,or is it walkable ?
    Good question! Mostly walkable, I'd say. Not more than 10 minutes between pubs - that's a guess, but I can put it into Google maps like I did for Al 10000's first shot. But it's a bit of a trek back to the station from the city centre, so a bus for the last leg might be handy. Not sure if that justifies the expense of an all day ticket though. The trouble with bus routes is that they don't conform to the positions of the public houses: a sad oversight by town planners.
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #24
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,034

    Default

    I'm afraid I'm busy that week. Ah well, I'll keep hoping.

  5. #25
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Mostly walkable, I'd say. Not more than 10 minutes between pubs - that's a guess. But it's a bit of a trek back to the station from the city centre, so a bus for the last leg might be handy. Not sure if that justifies the expense of an all day ticket though.
    Total walking distance 4.3 miles.

    I've managed to keep walking times down to 10 minutes between pubs (0.5 miles on Google maps) but this has entailed switching the Greyhound and Mr Grundy's, so that it is the latter that is now a wild card. (Collectors of these are assumed to have a predilection for walking.)

    There is a bus from near the Wetherspoons in the city centre which cuts out most of the walk back to the last pub near the station. This brings the walking distance (not including wild cards) down to 3.8 miles.

    This is still early days - feedback is expected from fans of pubs not mentioned so far, asking why theirs are not on my list: it's just a suggestion, please put forward your own ideas.
    Come On You Hatters!

  6. #26
    This Space For Hire Pubsignman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Croydon and occasionally Dorset
    Posts
    874

    Default

    That looks like a great list Will. I'm not too familiar with Derby, but the one pub I remember being keen to do after my last visit was the New Zealand Arms. Doesn't look like it's too far from Mr Grundy's but it'll obviously add a bit more walking to the route, so maybe best suited as another wildcard option?

  7. #27
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I'm not too familiar with Derby, but the one pub I remember being keen to do after my last visit was the New Zealand Arms. Doesn't look like it's too far from Mr Grundy's but it'll obviously add a bit more walking to the route, so maybe best suited as another wildcard option?
    Good call, Leigh. I missed this one when I did a little tour around some of the outlying pubs in Derby two years ago. As you say, it could be another wild card, but let's see what feedback I get for my suggested route and particularly the walking distances involved. If people don't mind the extra mile (it's 1.5 miles going from Five Lamps to Greyhound via Mr Grundy's and New Zealand Arms; 0.5 miles direct), we could add this one to the route and reinstate Mr Grundy's too!
    Come On You Hatters!

  8. #28
    Baum Quality Supervisor ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,400

    Default

    The Last Post

    Called in recently, not got round to reviewing it yet, but we really liked it.

    Packed when there's abvout 15 in though.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  9. #29
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The Last Post

    Called in recently, not got round to reviewing it yet, but we really liked it.

    Packed when there's abvout 15 in though.
    Yeah, I'd forgotten about that one. It's a sister micropub to the Little Chester Ale House, I believe. We could certainly add it as a wild card - as long as no more than 15 of us want to do it!
    Come On You Hatters!

  10. #30
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,809

    Default

    Currently £20.50 e/w from that London. Who's waiting for the megatrain (~30Sep)?
    Surprised the Tap is not on-map, even if it's slightly sterile inside. Don't know of Mr Grundy's; his first name isn't Bill is it?
    Regarding distance from furthest pub back to station, we got a minicab (I know! what was I thinking?), a couple of visits back, from Flowerpot to Brunswick for only a fiver-ish. So if folk team up you should be able to do it for ~£1.50pp.

Similar Threads

  1. Duplicate in Derby
    By sheffield hatter in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-01-2014, 18:03
  2. Derby changes
    By ROBCamra in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-07-2013, 15:21
  3. derby
    By hondo in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15-11-2012, 12:50
  4. Name Change in Derby
    By Al 10000 in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 16:36
  5. Hero's - Derby
    By ROBCamra in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-02-2012, 07:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •