Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Problems uploading photos

I'll stay on me own

Default Problems uploading photos

Has anyone else been having problems uploading photos lately? They appear to upload ok, but then I might get a couple of duplicates, even though they're not. A lot of the problems seem to be around switching the watermark to top or bottom. I've had cases where this has corrupted it so the picture in unviewable, and others where the thumbnail is out of line with the main picture.

As an example (not approved as yet, so it's currently only the mods that will be able to see them), this pub http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/54434/ has three pictures I've uploaded. Two of the thumbnails show an identical pic, even though they're different. The main picture may show an identical pic, or may not, depending on the location of the watermark. Selecting one pic, and swapping the watermark, the (main) picture then swaps from one to the other, although the thumbnail stays the same.

All very odd. My PC's not the best, but it's definitely only started happening recently.

This Space For Hire

I've had no issues and using the new upload drag and drop has made things easier. Not much help I know Dave but I've still had emails saying photos approved and if have forgotten to switch WM then I've still been able to switch.

Also just had a email saying Blackthorn has uploaded pictures of every pub and his dog too so maybe check them again and see if issue with WM and duplicates exists?
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 26-07-2015 at 21:00.

I'll stay on me own

Now they're approved, they appear to be just duplicates, ie; both thumbnails are still the same and switching the WM does not swap to the other photo. It would be interesting to know what the approver saw, as in the past I have noticed duplicates not getting approved.

It might be worth saying that this only occurs when I upload more than one photo at a time. I do this by selecting multiple files from the source directory. Prior to the recent upload changes, the uploads appeared to be done serially, ie; the second one would queue until the first one had completed. Now they appear to upload in parallel.

I will leave the duplicates in place for now in the hope that Dave may be able to see something amiss. And I will try the new drag and drop feature to see how that goes.

There's also one here (waiting for approval) http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/423/ that has got corrupted. Again, I'll leave it for Dave to look at.
    Last edited by Blackthorn; 27-07-2015 at 08:02.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

BT, I've approved quite a few of your photos and what you're saying sheds new light on things. One batch in particular had four thumbnails of the same image. Naturally, I approved one and referred the other three to admin. At the time, I just assumed you'd had trouble with reception and multi-posted to make sure the image got through. Unfortunately, I can't offer any thoughts on what the real problem might be.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I am looking into it, think I know what is going on. Will report back later.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Prior to the recent upload changes, the uploads appeared to be done serially, ie; the second one would queue until the first one had completed. Now they appear to upload in parallel.
    You got it, was entirely to do with that. Saved me even having to think very much about what was going wrong.

Had to delve into some very old code on the site, I originally wrote the photo upload code in 2003 - it was bad, we'd have been getting this kind of thing going wrong a lot.

Conrad thankfully made it much better in 2005. However there was always the potential for it to go wrong relatively easily, but the old Flash photo uploader made it less likely because it was uploading one at a time. Upshot is that the issue cropped up 12 times in the last 10 years, then I change the uploader and it happens 50 times in a few weeks. Oooops.

I've now altered the code a little bit, the potential for it to happen again is still there but it is almost infinitely improbable. So we should ok until Arthur Dent uploads photos of the Horse & Groom in Cottington.

[QUOTE=Dave M;75155]So we should ok until Arthur Dent uploads photos of the Horse & Groom in Cottington.[/QUOTE

...strangely, not listed on either Pubs Galore or WhatPub.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

Thanks Dave, I'll see how it goes.

[QUOTE=sheffield hatter;75157]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    So we should ok until Arthur Dent uploads photos of the Horse & Groom in Cottington.[/QUOTE

...strangely, not listed on either Pubs Galore or WhatPub.
    But it IS listed here: Bars and Pubs