Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAMRA Rant about PuG

Default CAMRA Rant about PuG

for your edification/indignation/education

"Pubs Galore is not that great.

Following your recommendation, I looked at pubs in Keighley, where I live, to see what the maps were like. First thing that jumped out: There is a pub marked as closed, because a reviewer reported it as closed last December. Quote: The Red pig now seems to be closed with all the signage taken down, and looks like it could be living accommodation but i cannot find anything on line to confirm this

Stick to WhatPub! On WhatPub, we don’t mark pubs as closed because some random reviewer happened to pass by and thought, because the signs had been taken down, that it had been converted to living accommodation. (The pub was undergoing an external makeover as part of a Bradford Council scheme to upgrade Church Green.) There is, of course, living accommodation on the first and second floors where the managers live, but the downstairs is alive and kicking – I attended a wake there a couple of weeks ago, consumed rather too much Landlord. Nothing on the web to confirm it is closed? The reviewer obviously didn’t look at WhatPub, then! It is very definitely open on there – probably doesn’t have a very recent ‘Last updated’ date because no-one’s changed it recently, because like most Keighley pubs, it’s the same inside as it was 5 years ago, indeed it’s pretty much the same inside as it was 35 years ago. Probably doesn’t sell Theakstons any longer as shown on WP, so I guess I’d better survey it properly in the next few days having had this rant....

..and no, I’m not going to update the details on a web-site that is to all intents and purposes in competition with WhatPub. Keeping WhatPub up-to-date takes up quite enough of my time without updating rival web-sites as well. I shall mention to Janet (the manager) or Bob and Janice (the owners) that there is a web-site stating the Pig is closed next time I see them and let them deal with it. Bob might be amused or he might just threaten to sue them, or both!

PS The map of Keighley that Pubs Galore gave me showed no pubs at all, not sure why. The map for the Red Pig shows it where it is, in exactly the same place as WhatPub shows it. I tried looking at a couple of other pubs in other nearby towns. On the third one I looked at the map has a disclaimer: ‘Map location is best guess’. Mmmh... Didn’t bother exploring any further."

P***k springs to mind.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Competition with Whatpub? I would base competition about a range of sites that's been around for years not with a new kid on the block in relative terms...

As above but I'd go with f****** in front of it though.

As for map points WP is only as good as the members on here are for marking exact location. Maybe WP should have the disclaimer of "we are just winging it because we can't be arsed to update our branch area as we aren't really interested in this internet lark and will walk between pubs with our hands dragging in the gutter."

This Space For Hire

You don't source the rant. Is it in a Camra publication or just an individual who is also a member/local official of Camra sounding off? If the latter it really is best ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    the downstairs is alive and kicking – I attended a wake there a couple of weeks ago"
    Erm...?

Interested to know whether Rex submitted this synopsis to WhatPub or whether it was just lifted directly from PuG.

http://whatpub.com/pubs/NLD/6169/mcglynns-kilburn

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    You don't source the rant. Is it in a Camra publication or just an individual who is also a member/local official of Camra sounding off? If the latter it really is best ignored.
    From an official CAMRA forum (a Yahoo Group).
    Last edited by oldboots; 01-08-2015 at 08:27.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    The source of the rant was me!
    I was saying that, in general, PuG map points were better than WP because any member can update them and it is not reliant on trying to get the weaker Camra branches to update theirs. I corrected him on what "Best Guess" meant (on PuG maps) and pointed out that these weak Camra branches had most of their points on "best guess", (including some on his Keighley branch) though the stronger branches like Vale of Clwyd were 100% correct (self praise! ).

It all started with a discussion on the pub map points on Open Street Maps.

The Red Pig

Now he's moaning that I updated the entry, I'd like to see a CAMRA branch react that quick on their database.........

"The Red Pig HAD been marked as closed on Pubs Galore. It was NOT listed in the list of open pubs and if you went to its entry it had ‘Reported closed’ plastered all over the image. It has now been set back to ‘Open’ by someone calling himself Old Boots with the comment ‘Actually open according to Keighley and Craven CAMRA’. No need for the last 7 words there. ‘Actually open, never closed, we made a mistake’ might be a better review....* Apologies for my rant. Perhaps I overreacted. I kind of got annoyed that one of my favourite pubs, owned by a couple who I’ve known almost as friends for over 30 years was marked on a web-site as closed, when it has never closed."

No pleasing some people.

regards
    someone calling himself Old Boots
    Last edited by oldboots; 01-08-2015 at 11:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Interested to know whether Rex submitted this synopsis to WhatPub or whether it was just lifted directly from PuG.

http://whatpub.com/pubs/NLD/6169/mcglynns-kilburn
    Actually I'm not sure whether I had submitted it. Being a bit of a geek, I do keep a record of all my WhatPub submissions, and although I have a record of supplying the photo, I have no record of supplying the description (but of course I might have forgotten to record it). Anyway, I have an excellent relationship with CAMRA N London branch, and am very happy for them to use any of my PuG postings if it helps them (and will have told them this). But of course I wouldn't have given them licence to lift anything directly from PuG, as that's not my call. But I suspect that even if they have done so, Dave will probably not be overly fussed if I'm OK with it. Dave may be able to tell if it was lifted directly from PuG, and if so, and if he does want to take issue with CAMRA N London then I would ask that I be allowed to raise it with them discreetly as I know the chairman.

Thanks for flagging this up PSM.