Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: York visit

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Default York visit

Coming up to York again next week for a week, and wondered if there are any beer festivals around, or any new pubs on the scene to visit. Heard there is a real ale trail that is running at the moment, so will check out a few pubs new to me from the list of pubs in York centre. Some I have been to seem to have changed names too, so it will be interesting.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Beer festival wise it's a bit quiet next week (27th July-2nd Aug) although there should be a few things going on Saturday 1st which is Yorkshire day. The ale trail is for free tickets to the beer festival, details at http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/lifestyle...e_24_pubs____/

There's also one of sorts on in Wetherby on the Saturday http://theyorkshirealetrail.co.uk/index.html I must say £7.50 seems a bit steep for the four breweries that are there, but then Wetherby's pubs aren't that great either.

Lots of new pubs, Duke of York and the Hop are the best of the bunch, Sutlers might have got its act together, and there's quite a "hipsterish" place further down Fossegate The Fossgate Social. I'm sure you know the Walmgate Ale House was Meltons Too and the Watergate was the Five Lions, and nobody seems sure what to call 127 Micklegate these days.
    Last edited by oldboots; 23-07-2015 at 20:41.

Thank you. We have been to the Duke of York and the Hop, but Sutlers and Fossgate Social will be looked at. Don't remember doing Five Lions, so will find that one with its name change too.

Travis from Texas is coming over and we have a few days with him. He wanted to know why we liked Sheffield so much, so we are going on the train to Sheffield on 1 August. Will be a fun week one way or another. Might have to settle Ray in the Tap or Maltings while we explore York, and in the Gardeners in Sheffield for there as he is not up to a big crawl yet, but is happy to get out and find a drink or two.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Travis from Texas is coming over and we have a few days with him. He wanted to know why we liked Sheffield so much, so we are going on the train to Sheffield on 1 August. Will be a fun week one way or another. Might have to settle Ray in the Tap or Maltings while we explore York, and in the Gardeners in Sheffield for there as he is not up to a big crawl yet, but is happy to get out and find a drink or two.
    Sorry to be missing you and Ray, as I'll be in Macclesfield next Saturday.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Sorry to be missing you and Ray, as I'll be in Macclesfield next Saturday.
    That's a shame. Will have to sort a visit sometime when we can meet up. Only been a couple of times this year, and Ray can cope with a bus to Gardeners Rest after checking the Tap out, bus back over to Harlequin, walk to Fat Cat, KIT and Shakespeare, then he managed to walk up to the Wellington and the tram back to the station. We seem to manage plenty of good beers from those. We were up on 17 July to take photos of the pumpclips in them to send to Travis so he has an idea what to expect on 1 August and to check Ray would cope ok, and had a great time as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Ray can cope with a bus to Gardeners Rest after checking the Tap out, bus back over to Harlequin, walk to Fat Cat, KIT and Shakespeare, then he managed to walk up to the Wellington and the tram back to the station. We seem to manage plenty of good beers from those.
    Sounds like a pretty good route to me! Hope you have a good time, and give Ray my best wishes.
    Come On You Hatters!