Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Temporary Pub Closures

I'll stay on me own

Default Temporary Pub Closures

I am pretty sure i have done a thread about this in the past.

If i am on a pub crawl and see a pub that is closed but will no doubt reopen in the near future,i will never ask for it to be closed.

i have noticed pubs that have been closed on a tempory basis for over a year and are still closed,but are now open.
    I think those who close the pub down on the site should then reopen it when it does reopen and not leave it closed.

Take this pub for an example The Yew Tree Inn.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I am pretty sure i have done a thread about this in the past.

If i am on a pub crawl and see a pub that is closed but will no doubt reopen in the near future,i will never ask for it to be closed.

i have noticed pubs that have been closed on a tempory basis for over a year and are still closed,but are now open.
    I think those who close the pub down on the site should then reopen it when it does reopen and not leave it closed.

Take this pub for an example The Yew Tree Inn.
    I agree Al, especially if it is a pub we don't know too well. It is too easy to forget about a pub we have closed weeks ago. We might never see the info that it has reopened. A far better way would be to mention it's closure on a review saying that it is only temporary. At least it is still on the maps then and won't be forgotten about.

I think the trick here may be to report changes in a pub's status in the "That doesn't go there thread!" I think that's what it was set up for but then I'm often wrong.

I haven't seen any change posts about the Yew Tree in Warminster, What Pub has it as open but then that has an out of date Facebook link so who knows what's going on there?

Perhaps Quinno will be willing to spend a few quid and check out this and all the other pubs he's seen that are shut in the last few months.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Perhaps Quinno will be willing to spend a few quid and check out this and all the other pubs he's seen that are shut in the last few months.
    Pretty sure I didn't close it - ROBCamra did. I generally don't close places that are temporary as I agree with Al that it's not easy to remember to check they've re-opened. I fed back its closure to the local CAMRA branch but its status never changed on WP.

TripAdvisor also has no reviews for this place since 2014 either. Maybe it never did re-open?

I think you have to use your best judgement on this one. I closed a pub the other day that looked fairly derelict - the seating area at the front was strewn with junk; the canopy had broken down; a pane of glass in the door was broken, allowing me to see inside where the place was full of junk. There was definitely no work going on. Of course it might be that work is about to start and it will be up and running again in a month or so. WhatPub was no help as it was not closed on there. Or it might alternatively become another Tesco Express. How am I to know? All I can go on is what I see. I for one don't keep track of all the pubs I close - regrettably there are too many of them.

This Space For Hire

If this thread had been posted at 15.00 today I'd have took a slight detour from the Warminster bypass and driven through Warminster to confirm. Wiltshire WP are crap btw I've told them about pubs that are shut and they've done nothing about them.

The problem we have on here as I've mentioned before is if we spot somewhere shut away from where we live is will we be passing often enough to update it accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I think you have to use your best judgement on this one. I closed a pub the other day that looked fairly derelict - the seating area at the front was strewn with junk; the canopy had broken down; a pane of glass in the door was broken, allowing me to see inside where the place was full of junk. There was definitely no work going on. Of course it might be that work is about to start and it will be up and running again in a month or so. WhatPub was no help as it was not closed on there. Or it might alternatively become another Tesco Express. How am I to know? All I can go on is what I see. I for one don't keep track of all the pubs I close - regrettably there are too many of them.
    Summed up nicely by Rex, I think. We can only report what we see, though that is sometime stempered by various CAMRA newsletters we pick up as we travel around.

In the case of the Yew Tree it still does not appear on Marston's Pub Search.

They haven't used their Facebook or Twitter accounts for ages.

There's no mention of Marston's wishing to lease, let or sell the pub.

I suspect it may have been turned into a private house.

Bath CAMRA are pretty useless at keeping up to date as well.

All the evidence points to it being closed permanently.

My view, for what it's worth, is that we should continue to close pubs on a temporary basis.

There's nothing worse than walking for a mile in the pouring rain to find that the pub is closed for a refurb.

I still have the facility to check these pubs out and I'm working through 70 at the moment,
    but if Whatpub isn't kept up to date either it's very difficult to find out what's happening.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread. There are a few pubs which I have marked as closed, but due to their location, or lack of information on the web, I have been unable to mark them as open. A prime example is Hearts of Oak in Drybrook, Gloucestershire. This pub is quite a distance from where I live, and there is little information about it on the web.

Looks as if it is still up for let with Admiral Taverns, http://www.admiraltaverns.co.uk/Pub/Hearts-Of-Oak/1060

However it says that the living accomodation has recently been upgraded by the CURRENT tenant.

Whatpub has it marked as reopen on 03/06/2015.

I suspect it's currently open in the short term, but is still up for let for the 5 year tenancy.

On balance I would say that it's open.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 20-07-2015 at 15:56.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas