Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Question What would you do?

Bit of background first, within the last few months I have found cash on pub floor at lunch time

The first was about 20p near fruit machine, the last was £1 coin near a table leg

The first I offered back to fruit machine player who had just swept it onto floor [big mistake, seems yoof of today consider copper as "naff" and is to be discarded ASAP, thus displaying how cool & wealthy they are]

Second was a pound coin near table leg, presumably dropped by accident

In first case, after rejection by the rightful owner of the pence, and a bit of "sneering" by same, I put it in the charity box

Second case, pound coin, no obvious owner, I pocketed it

Any thoughts on this? If you found a tenner on the pub floor what would you do? Is this different from a 20p coin?

I have probably dropped more money than I have ever picked up so I don't have any great guilty complex in pocketing any lucky finds. What comes around goes around. If I saw someone actually drop it and not notice I would hand it back or point it out. If it was something of more value (ie wallet etc) I would hand it in at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I have probably dropped more money than I have ever picked up so I don't have any great guilty complex in pocketing any lucky finds. What comes around goes around. If I saw someone actually drop it and not notice I would hand it back or point it out. If it was something of more value (ie wallet etc) I would hand it in at the bar.
    Me too. If there is a realistic probability of returning it to its rightful owner I would do it, otherwise I would pocket it. I certainly wouldn't do anything daft like hand cash over to the bar staff so the rightful owner could reclaim it later! A wallet is different of course.
    Last edited by Rex_Rattus; 25-02-2010 at 14:42.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Me too. If there is a realistic probability of returning it to its rightful owner I would do it, otherwise I would pocket it. I certainly wouldn't do anything daft like hand cash over to the bar staff so the rightful owner could reclaim it later! A wallet is different of course.
    If it was a coin on the floor ,I would always give it a little kick to make sure that it wasnt superglued to the floor by the jovial landlord looking to poke fun at any one desperately trying to pocket some discarded shrapnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    If it was a coin on the floor ,I would always give it a little kick to make sure that it wasnt superglued to the floor by the jovial landlord looking to poke fun at any one desperately trying to pocket some discarded shrapnel.
    Hmm! I though it was just me that did that.

This Space For Hire

If it doesn't fold up, in the blind box or sometimes just leave it for the cleaners, who in chain pubs probably make more money from odd coppers found on the floor than they get in wages. If you spot the same coin in the same place a couple of days later, and I have, it says a lot about their cleaning arrangements, of course, and makes you wonder what the kitchen's like.

I never seem to come across lost folding money so the question of what to do with that has never arisen.

Then there's the question of coins left on the tables. I always wonder who does that, misguided American tourists? In some JDWs they can remain untocuched, along with the dirty plates and glasses, for hours.

If it is 1p or 2p then I would pocket it and put to my piggy bank at home. I made £87 from 1p and 2p in past year and half of it come from JDW's floor, tables, beer garden and even in toilets!

I remember once someone dropped £10 note on floor in Gents since there are hundreds people in room I can't tell who is rightful owner so I decided to treat myself with £10 note.

Another time, I sat down and saw £20 in deposit box (cash machine) I had few mins to think whether I should take it or leave it. In the end I decided to take "freebie" £20... that was in also JDW! Lets say it was Finder's Keepers..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I would pay someone a quid to pick it up for me - i have seen too many tricks usung half five pound notes etc - let someone else look the buffoon, by contracting out the pick-up saying, i am sure i have dropped a tenner here somewhere
    MILD:

Now we know why Hoppy is so keen on JDWs...they are a second source of income to him. Lucky sod, I never find anything. This habit of leaving coins on tables has not reached this neck of the woods. I do not tip in pub eateries for canteen service,though for proper resturant sevice I do.
    In the rare event of me finding a coin I put in a charity box. I can honestly say I have never found a note.
    I did find a wallet once in a pub in Wales.Neither the Publican nor the Police were interested. It had a lady pensioners bus pass in it and a Lloyds Bank debit card plus about £250 ( this was in the 1970s). A quick trip to Lloyds and the manager checked whose the card was and found the old couple were holidaying on the caravan site next to ours.So it was returned reasonably quickly to the owners who said it was all their holiday money.
    See I can be saintly if I try really hard.

Pocket it...
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........