Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webcams in Pubs

A couple of the bars I visited in Florida have webcams and occasionally I visit them when feeling like a trip down memory lane.As for privacy it don't exist anymore. Swept away on a tide of panic with terrorism and "Its there to protect you " the most spouted phrase regards CCTV, usually by those who have vested interest.Surveillance will get worse not better. Snoops are even in your rubbish bins, your mobile phones even under the bonnet or boot of your car. OK you can feel outraged but it aint going to alter a thing. No I.D cards ? They will arrive in one form or another.
    Until then just smile at the camera and be careful where you pick your nose or scratch your ar**e, you donut want to be seen on those Police Action programs do you ?

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

As for privacy it don't exist anymore.
    I (think I) understand where you’re coming from with that, Arwkrite, but it ignores the fact that - so far - publicly accessible camera-feeds are almost unheard of here, as far as I know. Comparing this with CCTV is misleading, as CCTV is provided, at least in principle, for the security of an establishment and its customers, while the webcam idea can surely only be driven with commercial goals in mind. And of course privacy exists - at least it does in my house and, I’m sure, in yours.

OK you can feel outraged but it aint going to alter a thing. No I.D cards ? They will arrive in one form or another.
    Well of course that’s true if everyone just lamely accepts it as an inevitable state of affairs. But the Labour government has backed down on plenty of these sorts of draconian measures (most obviously ID cards), even when they had a majority of over a billion seats or something, so it’s far from guaranteed that an incoming administration will even consider such legislation.
    Last edited by Evil Gazebo; 16-04-2010 at 23:37. Reason: my own diselxia

Labour will only backdown if they think it will cost them votes at this election, at a moment of strength ID cards will be back, I am just wondering how long will it be the E.U. demand them. CCTV footage ends up on. broadcast TV .Surely someone is paying for it. People will view webcams for whatever reason. It all sounds like commercial entertainment to me.
    Have a look around the internet you can find equipment anyone can buy that can detect your conversation from inside your home . Whether your conversations are deemed of interest to do this is immaterial. The capability is there and some one could use it and abuse it and perhaps stick it on UTube. It is surprising what some people find funny these days. It has been said we are sleep walking into a surveillance society. It is my belief we are already there

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar