Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Scotland

Default Scotland

Hi all,

I will be spending a couple of weeks North of the border soon. I have never been before so it is all new to me.

Happy to hear any suggestions.

I will be near Edinburgh for a few days ( Definite pub crawl planned )

I also have a few days in Inverness, a few days near Loch Lomond and a few days on Isle of Skye.

Cheers,

Del.

I am a salmon !!

One problem with Edinburgh is the tourists, of course (your good self excluded, naturally). There are any number of pubs that are honey pots for people for whom the pub is not a natural habitat, so I'll just mention a few that I've enjoyed that are little bit off-beat:

Halfway House - handy for Waverley Station, a very small pub with four hand pulls.
    Canny Mans - an absolute gem of a community pub, worth making the effort to get there.
    Dagda Bar - liked by me, Old Boots and JAQPTIO, so it must be OK.

While you're in Inverness, I'd recommend a trip out to Drumnadrochit on Loch Ness for the Benleva Hotel, home of the Loch Ness brewery. On the other side of the lake there's The Dores Inn, which I reached by bike, though there is also a bus.

In Inverness itself the Clachnaharry Inn is not nearly as good as it used to be (though may have improved since the last reviews - would you mind calling in to see?) when the present landlord of The Castle Tavern ran it. If you're going to the Castle Tavern, you might also like to try No.27 just down the road. The other side of the city centre The Phoenix Alehouse needs an up to date review on our site (see reviews on a duplicate entry if Dave hasn't deleted it yet, and Camra's praise of the Phoenix rising out of its own ashes).

On Skye, I would say don't bother with Kyleakin and Broadford. The Sligachan Hotel is only any good if you take into account that there is nothing else for miles around. When I was in The Old Inn recently it was very foody, and one of the beers was from Robinsons - they had another which was named after their recently deceased dog, and brewed at Sligachan. I nearly said that I thought the Cuillin Brewery beers were pretty poor, but the barman mentioned just in time that the brewer happened to be standing next to me at the bar.

If you're taking your camera and have wheels, there are a few that need photographing, if you wouldn't mind: Skeabost House Hotel, The Edinbane Inn, Dunorin House Hotel and Harlosh Hotel.

You might find something in Portree to suit your taste. My favourite was The Isles Inn. In Uig there are three, but the Ferry Inn was being refurbished when I passed through four weeks ago. The Bakur Bar (which I'll have reviewed by the time you read this) is pretty poor average and the Uig Hotel is OK (I would have given it more than a 6 if there'd been a choice of ales at the time of my visit).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 29-06-2015 at 15:24.
    Come On You Hatters!

I used to live in Edinburgh and still visit regularly. So if you want to know about some pubs..................

If you want to do the tourist bit go to the old town.

If you want good pubs and few tourists the new town is the place to go.

I suspect hondo may be a font of knowledge as well.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

From Inverness it's also worth taking a trip along the northern shore of Loch Ness to Benleva Hotel or, if history is of any interest to you visiting the sit eof the Battle of Culloden via Cawdor Tavern ( I really ought to go back and review it some time, but I was quite impressed when I went there in 2008).

Another trip out from Edinburgh will find you at Dalriada , another one I mean to go back to sometime.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I failed to make any notes of my Edinburgh trip but I remember being mightily impressed, even as a Manc, by the ferocity of the constant rainfall/tempest from the moment I arrived until returning to hotel, sodden, 12 hours later.
    But I do recall thinking my bus journey out to Musselburgh the next morning well worth while for the target of the Volunteers Arms, aka Staggs. Good beer line up, good venue and good early doors banter with the bar folk. Why can't we have that sort of ale choice, plus futba, down Londinium?