Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: St albans

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Its a social meet up as well as a pub ticking expedition.Only 2 of the possible 21 pubs are new to me but if I get a few new beers I will be happy.Tried the White Hart Taps own beer on Saturday.Found it tough to finish the pint.
    I realise that but I've got train tickets for Liverpool on Saturday while the footbore is off season and the train leaves just after 08:00. In addition I'm hoping to find some more Spoons festival ciders on Thursday and if that doesn't give me a hangover then the quest has failed. The other point is the cost, I hope at least some of the reviews mention the prices as my recollection is that St Albans is really expensive, especially that Fuller's pub out in the sticks to the West.
    I hope you all enjoy it and it doesn't cost too much!

I'm going to struggle to arrive before 1.30PM but that's not too much of a problem for me as I frquented the Boot many moons ago and have no compunction to revisit the Peahen.
    But I do want to do the White Hart Taps, especially after John has evangelised about their beer, so hopefully see you in there..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I realise that but I've got train tickets for Liverpool on Saturday while the footbore is off season and the train leaves just after 08:00. In addition I'm hoping to find some more Spoons festival ciders on Thursday and if that doesn't give me a hangover then the quest has failed. The other point is the cost, I hope at least some of the reviews mention the prices as my recollection is that St Albans is really expensive, especially that Fuller's pub out in the sticks to the West.
    I hope you all enjoy it and it doesn't cost too much!
    Okay sounds like you will have a good time.The fing is its only £8.50 return to St Albans for Londoners so add the cost of the beer and its not that expensive.Wheres the next crawl will be up norf ,with cheap beer but will cost an arm and a leg to get there.I am sure when I have been round St Albans recently it was consistently about £3.80 a pint and seems to be a cartel on the beer prices.Will let you know soon as.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Okay sounds like you will have a good time.The fing is its only £8.50 return to St Albans for Londoners so add the cost of the beer and its not that expensive.Wheres the next crawl will be up norf ,with cheap beer but will cost an arm and a leg to get there.I am sure when I have been round St Albans recently it was consistently about £3.80 a pint and seems to be a cartel on the beer prices.Will let you know soon as.
    £3.80 is pretty much standard prices in the S.E now, excepting Spoons of course.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Dave M and Tammy?
    Roger Button?
    Old Boots?
    How about you Aqualung ?Not too far from home.
    Pubsignman?
    Also AEM ? ETA? Bcfczuluarmy? Anyone else ?
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 14-07-2015 at 19:08.
    -W.C.Fields

The bad news. Yes I'll be there !!!!

£3.80 is pretty much standard prices in the S.E now, excepting Spoons of course.
    And micropubs as well as many others. There is and always has been a Cartel. Years ago someone I knew who worked at a McMullen's pub used to get sent out to check the prices in nearby pubs.
    The licenced trade is a racket, always has been and always will be. If it wasn't for the honourable exceptions I wouldn't bother going to a pub at all.
    Even CAMRA festivals are in on it. They seem to think it's OK to charge to get in, charge for a glass and then charge the same prices as local pubs (notably never the nearest JDW).

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    The bad news. Yes I'll be there !!!!
    Excellent.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Sadly mates 40th weekend in Isle of Wight so no can do. Got Slough with work the following week for a couple of evenings. 8 pubs in Slough Central seems a poor show.

Anyway hope a good day is had by all attending and Blackthorn slow down on the picture taking.....

Those Confirmed as going (or likely, to go) so far on this thread are -
    London Calling
    Moby Duck
    rpadam
    Quinno
    Maldenman (Doubtful)
    Bucking Fastard
    Big Steve
    Real Ale Ray (and Fiona ?)
    trainman
    Sheffield Hatter
    Gann
    Blackthorn & Mrs B
    AEM
    Current attendee's as far as I am aware.
    -W.C.Fields