Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else see Ed in 'The Publican' Last Week?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Hello all - had to get rid of a chef which has led to me living a 14-16 hr day in the kitchen! Been getting quite a bit of coverage in the Publican, which is always nice. Just found out we're part of the prize in the Guardian's Hay Festival competition, we weren't told, just found out when a friend saw it and told me
    I suppose its a compliment, but wouldn't it be nice if the suits actually spoke to you!We're not all bumpkins out in the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    One of my embarrassing TV vices is Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. You mentioning getting rid of a chef for some reason just brings to mind images of a rotting walk in freezer and a lot of F'ing and Blinding to get someone to walk. I should add I am sure this is not the case, but it is just the way my indoctrinated mind now works.
    No Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I suppose its a compliment, but wouldn't it be nice if the suits actually spoke to you!We're not all bumpkins out in the sticks.
    I'll to that! Just a 'by the way' kind of thing
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Just found out we're part of the prize in the Guardian's Hay Festival competition, we weren't told, just found out when a friend saw it and told me
    Can they do that? Just “throw in” a weekend at a hotel without bothering to inform you? I mean, you might have a strong ideological opposition to the Hay Festival - or even The Grauniad! - it seems a huge liberty just to involve you like that.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

now Ed's a celeb - i can say, he nearly poured me a pint once - if the Guardian want to buy the story
    MILD:

Just found out we're part of the prize in the Guardian's Hay Festival competition, we weren't told, just found out when a friend saw it and told me
    My competition entry is in!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    Can they do that? Just “throw in” a weekend at a hotel without bothering to inform you? I mean, you might have a strong ideological opposition to the Hay Festival - or even The Grauniad! - it seems a huge liberty just to involve you like that.
    The room's been booked to a person's name, not just 'the guardian' so there's not much we could have done. It's nice that they think of us though. As for the guardian, it has it's uses. Firelighting, mainly...

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    now Ed's a celeb - i can say, he nearly poured me a pint once - if the Guardian want to buy the story
    It's amazing what happens when you spam out the slightest story to the local rag and trade paper - gets the name noticed. I think when the brewery is up and running I'll have to have a separate bar as the tap for it

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just to point out Ed has a new blog post. Explains a bit of how busy it is.

Just to follow up on my vice comment earlier in the thread and tie it with that blog post. One of the more interesting patterns in the Kitchen Nightmares show that always impressed me is Ramsey's insistence on simplifying the menu. He is always very insistent that to keep things under control you should have a menu that is at most a page, and preferably very local. It is one of those things that was a bit of a revelation for me watching it, and it is certainly true that when I go out somewhere to eat I only really want a menu that long with my concentration span.

Anyway, hope things smooth out soon Ed!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    ...you should have a menu that is at most a page, and preferably very local.
    Just read Ed's blog and really felt for him. You can probably get away with working like that in your twenties, but not ten, twenty years down the line.

Agree with the comment about the menu, forty mains sounds nuts. If they are all freshly prepared the logistics of buying, storing and prepping must be a nightmare.

A pub close to me, The Castle in Sandal, had a TEN page menu last time I called. I should imagine the kitchen hears more pings than a submarine sonar room. I think people are bound to be suspicious when menus are unfeasibly long. Even before Gordon Ramsay, a single page menu suggested a chef doing his thing rather than preparing industrial stodge.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    ...Even before Gordon Ramsay, a single page menu suggested a chef doing his thing rather than preparing industrial stodge.
    Interestingly though I had never thought about it, it was watching the show that made me think about it. I find it really interesting stuff, would hate to do it myself though, I'm the sort of person who would wonder what they had forgotten only to discover it is the food .