Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody else see Ed in 'The Publican' Last Week?

Firstly thanks for reading it!

I should have made it clearer about the menu - that 40 includes jackets, pizzas, baguettes, but is mainly meat that comes in from the butcher vacuum packed and gets grilled to order. We get deliveries every couple of days so freshness isn't a problem. Of the other items, Pies and Puddings have to be made in large batches - we can easily get through 50 portions of pie in a day over summer, so over the quieter winter times we make them up and freeze them down. Everything comes down to the taste test - for example our burgers are home-made with just mince, onion, herbs and seasoning - nothing else. We found purely by accident that cooking one from frozen actually has a better texture than fresh as it binds together better.

The knack was getting 3 or 4 dishes out of each ingredient, so cod fillets could be battered with chips, grilled with herb butter on salad, used in fish pie or breaded into real fish fingers for the children's menu.

With 4 or 5 people in the kitchen, the menu wouldn't be a hassle to serve - one person works fryers, one the grill, one the hob and one plates up. 1 person trying to do it failed miserably!

I'm going to get agency staff in for a little while, but with in-house training I don't need an excellent hotel chef - I need a cook who can organise the kitchen.

I promise the next blog will be more cheerful though!
    Last edited by Eddie86; 19-04-2010 at 13:32. Reason: Spelling
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Former Pubs Galore Coder

You are just overcomplicating it, there is nothing that can't be deep fried

edit: Also I now just have a massive urge for a burger

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    You are just overcomplicating it, there is nothing that can't be deep fried

edit: Also I now just have a massive urge for a burger
    One of Al Murray's books has a theme running through it of how to know if your local is a pub, wine bar or gastro. His menu suggestion was along the lines of:

Pie chips and peas
    Pie chips and beans
    Chips pie and peas
    Peas pie and chips
    Pie pie and chips
    Chips chips and chips...
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just in case anyone is not following it yet, another blog from Ed.

Sounds like he needs a few nights on the other side of the counter. Hopefully it will all settle soon as I am looking forward to the misadventures of brewing.