Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 21st June 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's all Manchester and the Frozen North to me!! How does that work anyway? People don't go to Kentish Town or Putney and say they are not really in London.
    At least the beer quality was good apart from the Port Street Beer House which was a complete joke.
    if I go to Manchester again I'll find an area full of Holt's pubs and / or Spoons.
    Chorlton cum Hardy was a totally separate small town until Manchester swamped it.

No-one in Chorlton thinks they live in Manchester.

There's a JDW in Chorlton The Sedge Lynn (JD Wetherspoon). Pretty good it is too.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 22-06-2015 at 10:46.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Chorlton cum Hardy was a totally separate small town until Manchester swamped it.

No-one in Chorlton thinks they live in Manchester.
    You could say that about most places in London but nobody in the old LCC area has any silly delusions like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

There's a JDW in Chorlton The Sedge Lynn (JD Wetherspoon). Pretty good it is too.
    Indeed, it was very welcome relief from the rip-off bars. It was only let down by cloudy Wobbly Bob.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Bit late on parade this week, owing to a long weekend in London. Most of this week's drinking was done there and rather disappointing it was too. Several beers were very dreary and some in not very good condition. However, did manage to pick up a couple of new breweries in Whippet and Cromarty.

Whippet - House Dogge.*
    Sonnet 43 - Bourbon Milk Stout.
    Magic Rock - Rapture.*
    Roosters - Buckeye.
    Sharps - Coaster.
    Youngs - Bitter, Special.
    Cromarty - Hit the Lip, Happy Chappy.
    Roosters - Birdman.
    Portobello - Star.
    Upham - Punter.
    Dark Star - Hophead.

Easy winner was the Rapture.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Siren can really do great beers and their Mums the Word -a cherry chilli milk porter was probably the best beer I have had this year.
    My elder daughter has started to get into beer and she texted me a couple of weeks ago, raving about this stuff, when she was in the Cask Pub & Kitchen. It was also on in Stormbird, Camberwell, when we visited on Saturday evening, so she was happy as Larry. I wish I'd had it instead of the indifferent Hophead I'd ordered. Unfortunately, we only had time for one!
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 23-06-2015 at 14:23.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    My elder daughter has started to get into beer and she texted me a couple of weeks ago, raving about this stuff, when she was in the Cask Pub & Kitchen. It was also on in Stormbird, Camberwell, when we visited on Saturday evening, so she was happy as Larry. I wish I'd had it instead of the indifferent Hophead I'd ordered. Unfortunately, we only had time for one!
    She obviously has taken after her father and has taste.Although its rare to find indifferent hophead.

Although its rare to find indifferent hophead.
    I have found indifferent Hophead on occasion, more so in the last year( as demand has increased maybe pushed through the system a bit to fast?)
    However I do normally get to drink it every week so the chances of a below par pint are increased.It is generally good though.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Although its rare to find indifferent hophead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I have found indifferent Hophead on occasion, more so in the last year( as demand has increased maybe pushed through the system a bit to fast?)
    On Saturday, it was a little too cold, which didn't help things, but the characteristic hop flavour seemed rather subdued, generally, something I've noticed before. Moby's point about increased demand may well apply, as the quality of Rudgate Ruby Mild was all over the place, for a while, after it won Champion Beer of Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Dark Star-Hophead 3.8%abv: Dunno if they've changed the recipe:this tasted more tropically fruity than I remember, and a notch less tooth raspingly astringent. Perhaps more to my taste!
    Does this throw any light on it? I know they sometimes do single hop versions of HH.The pumpclip was blue as I recall, which I thought different, though I hadn't drunk HH for many months upto last weekend. The beer wasn't as extreme as I remember it,with some sort of antipodean fruitiness. More than pleasant, though.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Does this throw any light on it? I know they sometimes do single hop versions of HH.The pumpclip was blue as I recall, which I thought different, though I hadn't drunk HH for many months upto last weekend. The beer wasn't as extreme as I remember it,with some sort of antipodean fruitiness. More than pleasant, though.
    I'm pretty certain it was standard HH, but it certainly rings a bell when you say it was less astringent, with tropical notes.

Not sure when your original quote was from but it sounds like you had Hophead Vic Secret which was this years Hophead special from January, although the pump clip was purple. Although it was more than drinkable, It was my least favorite of their specials, the Hophead Galaxy and Hophead Simcoe and Ahtanum from previous years were far superior in my view.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 24-06-2015 at 18:30.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields