Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: River Thames Pub Crawl Challenge.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Default River Thames Pub Crawl Challenge.

As I was thumbing through Waterways World,I came across an article about a challenge laid down by the Chairman of The River Thames Society to visit 40 nominated pubs situated close to the tidal Thames from Teddington to Tilbury and Gravesend.The list of pubs includes 20 pubs on each bank on this link http://www.riverthamessociety.org.uk...schallenge.htm and the idea is to visit all 40 over the remainder of 2010,take a photo of each one and submit a report of your crawl .The two most entertaining ones will receive a prize.

This all sounds very much like PuG territory,and having read some very funny accounts of crawls in St Albans and around Gold Cup time I thought this was worth passing on.Although the chairman says "this is not a race" doing all 20 on one bank in a day may not be beyond the capacity of some PuG members .What about 40 pubs over a weekend It would be too much for a lightweight like me but just think of the glory ....and the prizes!

I've recently passed a lot of these pubs while navigating a small narrowboat from Limehouse to Brentford although I was too busy dodging high speed catamarans and rubbish barges to get any photos on the way. Thats about as close as I will come to doing this challenge sadly.

I saw this in the current London Drinker magazine. There's quite a few pubs mentioned that have long been on my "to do" list. I have only done 17 of those listed but I'm always up for a challenge and would quite happily revisit most of them.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Not up to this one, wrong area, but I did post about me intending to do a "River Meon" crawl in similar vein sometime ago, but not all pubs in one day for same reasons

Over the years I've been to around 12 but Purfleet ,Tilbury,Gravesend and Rotherhithe are uncharted territory as far as I'm concerned.I only get down to London maximum twice a month ,so this challenge is not for me.Reasonable theme however and London Drinker is more likely to generate participants than the article in Waterways World.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 12-04-2010 at 15:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Not up to this one, wrong area, but I did post about me intending to do a "River Meon" crawl in similar vein sometime ago, but not all pubs in one day for same reasons
    How many pubs are on the River Meon crawl ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    How many pubs are on the River Meon crawl ?
    I reckon starting at the Izzak Walton in East Meon and ending at either the Coach & Horses in Titchfield or the Osborne View in Stubbington there are 22 or 23 pubs close to the river. It depends how many you do in Wickham and Titchfield. I'd probably get stuck at the White Horse in Droxford if it's as good as it used to be.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I reckon starting at the Izzak Walton in East Meon and ending at either the Coach & Horses in Titchfield or the Osborne View in Stubbington there are 22 or 23 pubs close to the river. It depends how many you do in Wickham and Titchfield. I'd probably get stuck at the White Horse in Droxford if it's as good as it used to be.
    I had intended starting at Rising Sun, Clanfield, which although not on the Meon it is near the source, then the pair in East Meon, via the Meon spring source. As only 3 in Wickham, if one excludes the Wine bar & hotel, I will do all three on same day, the end point not yet sure of

White Horse at Droxford, yes was always a good pub, yonks since I have been in there, one to look forward to