Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Pubs Galore cited as source of truth!

  1. #1
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    4,408

    Default Pubs Galore cited as source of truth!

    Just heard this site being quoted on Radio 4's quiz called the 3rd Degree as the source for the top 30 pub names in the UK - keep up the good work Dave and all contributors in the endless quest to keep on top of things!

  2. #2
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,646

    Default

    Excellent!!

  3. #3
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Found link on home page.
    What's that at #8?
    272 pubs called 'New'..?

  4. #4
    Inndigestion Strongers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    1,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Found link on home page.
    What's that at #8?
    272 pubs called 'New'..?
    New Inn?
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

  5. #5
    This Space For Hire AlanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ruabon, Wrexham
    Posts
    1,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Found link on home page.
    What's that at #8?
    272 pubs called 'New'..?
    New Inn
    New Crown
    New Boars Head
    New Moon
    New Zealand
    New Cross
    New ...........anything!

  6. #6
    Inndigestion Strongers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    1,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    New Inn
    New Crown
    New Boars Head
    New Moon
    New Zealand
    New Cross
    New ...........anything!
    I think that the words Inn and Tavern are omitted from the pub name when tallying them up. Therefore New Inn and New Tavern would become New.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

  7. #7
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I think that the words Inn and Tavern are omitted from the pub name when tallying them up. Therefore New Inn and New Tavern would become New.
    If you allow all the New ? to be lumped together then pubs with kings ? would probably be top name.

  8. #8
    Inndigestion Strongers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    1,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    If you allow all the New ? to be lumped together then pubs with kings ? would probably be top name.
    What I'm saying is that the terms Tavern and Inn at the end of all pub names have been omitted, ie:

    New = New Inn or New Tavern

    Just as: Kings Arms, Kings Arms Tavern and Kings Arms Inn would all be grouped together as Kings Arms.

    The same as Kings Head, Kings Head Tavern and Kings Head Inn would all be grouped together as Kings Head.

    Just to clarify, New Crown, New Cross, New York, New Zealand, New Moon, New Ton, New Ting are all different pub names and I am suggesting that only the terms INN and TAVERN have been omitted.

    (edit: I'd also add 'Hotel' to the list of omitted words, ie Kings Arms Hotel)
    Last edited by Strongers; 26-05-2015 at 22:39.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

  9. #9
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out saving pubs and enjoying it.
    Posts
    5,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    If you allow all the New ? to be lumped together then pubs with kings ? would probably be top name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    What I'm saying is that the terms Tavern and Inn at the end of all pub names have been omitted, ie:

    New = New Inn or New Tavern

    Just as: Kings Arms, Kings Arms Tavern and Kings Arms Inn would all be grouped together as Kings Arms.

    The same as Kings Head, Kings Head Tavern and Kings Head Inn would all be grouped together as Kings Head.

    Just to clarify, New Crown, New Cross, New York, New Zealand, New Moon, New Ton, New Ting are all different pub names and I am suggesting that only the terms INN and TAVERN have been omitted.

    (edit: I'd also add 'Hotel' to the list of omitted words, ie Kings Arms Hotel)
    Dave????
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  10. #10
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    I wonder if Ye and Olde or Old are excluded? I've never heard anyone refer to this pub by it's full name.
    How about Welsh pubs? This is the New Inn!

Similar Threads

  1. What Pub v Pubs Galore
    By gillhalfpint in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 17-01-2015, 08:22
  2. Pubs Galore App
    By Alesonly in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-01-2013, 12:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •