Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham Postcode Pub Crawl

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I think it was me, not Roger.

But if you do go try the Swan With Two Nicks and The Dragon as well, both closer to the station than The Plough, so you can call on the way back.
    I agree Swan with Two Nicks and The Dragon. Both are excellent. Don't forget JDW next to station...
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

The Postal Order next to the station is certainly one of the good Wetherspoons. Always go to that one and the Dragon in Worcester. Swan with two nicks is a really interesting building and worth looking rouns upstairs as well as downstairs while enjoying the ale.

Went into Birmingham for the Anchor beer festival today, so thought I would do the next pub on my postcode crawl list.

This was the Aston Hotel in B6. I got off the train at Aston so walked past the New Aventurers and Holte, then on to the Aston Hotel. There were workmen laying piping round and may be doing the heating system, so it may be gretting a refurb, which it could do with really. There was one real ale on Greene King IPA, but it was in good condition. Looked as though it was a lively pub in evenings from the posters and adverts around.

Caught a bus back into town and popped into the Bartons Arms for a couple. Ever so weird this one. Asked for Oakham Asylum and it was served from a pump with Oakham JHB on it, and asked for the guest, Sadlers Magic Miles and it was served from a pump with Old Rosie cider pump clip. Barmaid said there was confusion but they could tell what they were serving from the stickers behind the pumps! Oh well, that's all right then.

The Anchor festival is superb and on all weekend. We found there were 4 breweries new to us, and had 2 of them. Hogswood Goshen Ale from Cornwall was one, and we had been very close to the brewery that is near to St Agnes, but had never heard of it. The other one we tried was Windsor and EtonGuardsman Best Bitter. We had 8 excellent beers there, but will not get back for when Toad and Upham brewery beers come on.

This postcode pub crawl is likely to take me years to do as I am not in Birmingham very often these days, but as we were going into town we caught a train to Duddeston station to find my B7 pub, the Foaming Tankard in Bloomsbury Street.

The site entry has a photo, so I didn't take one, and passing the old chap having a cigarette in the doorway I entered a fairly large empty room with a bar and no real ales. I asked if there were any and was told by that there were none.

Looked like it was for the locals to gather with a pool table taking pride of place in the room and there was a dartboard. Some trophies in a cabinet on the wall so they may be some good teams there.

Left without having a drink.

Duddeston... That name sends my spine shivers. I HATED that place and still do to this day. Easily one of worst area in whole of B'ham. Glad you made back in one piece.. I was threatened once by two iffy looking men asking for fag and I politely said no. Luckily they walked away..
    Last edited by hopwas; 27-09-2010 at 18:15.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

I will be In Birmingham too visit my Brother In Erdington from 1st too the 5th of November so I will give I few Pubs a Try around the Erdington Area.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    I will be In Birmingham too visit my Brother In Erdington from 1st too the 5th of November so I will give I few Pubs a Try around the Erdington Area.
    Erdington is very poor for real ales (apart from JDW's Charlie Hall) and Go to Suton Coldfield nearby as it is much nicer and better.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    This postcode pub crawl is likely to take me years to do as I am not in Birmingham very often these days, but as we were going into town we caught a train to Duddeston station to find my B7 pub, the Foaming Tankard in Bloomsbury Street.

The site entry has a photo, so I didn't take one, and passing the old chap having a cigarette in the doorway I entered a fairly large empty room with a bar and no real ales. I asked if there were any and was told by that there were none.

Looked like it was for the locals to gather with a pool table taking pride of place in the room and there was a dartboard. Some trophies in a cabinet on the wall so they may be some good teams there.

Left without having a drink.
    It amazes me that the Foaming Tankard is still open ! I called in a couple of years back and it looked like it was on its last legs then. The Albion Vaults, not far away, isn't a bad pub.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    There are a few pubs in the area but nothing really special. The Red Lion is an impressive looking pub - if you like that sort of thing ! Not sure about ale, I haven't been for a while.
    The Lad in the Lane - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52358/ - is worth a visit. Just down the road from Erdington, it is supposed to be the oldest in Brum. They had real ale on earlier this year.

I am a salmon !!

What I did a while ago was look for postcodes for Birmingham pubs that had no reviews and list pubs by postcode that I had never done to do a review. I have done B1 to B7 now, and my next pub will be in B8.

The randomly chosen one there is Bromyard Inn, but not sure when I will get there. B9 is Samson & Lion, B10 is Brighton Arms.