Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Birmingham Postcode Pub Crawl

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Smile Birmingham Postcode Pub Crawl

Just for fun, I am scrolling up and down the Birmingham pubs, and starting at B1 I am finding any pub I have never done that has no review or ratings, and listing a pub for each postcode area, and I will have a go at visiting them by bus.

Just started listing them, and may start going out to them Mon - Wed next week.

Need something to do when I am stuck at home, and this could be fun. Biggest problem will be opening hhours. I won't be doing evenings.

No I will amend that, biggest problem may be lack of beer choice, but I will give it a go.

Covered a lot of the real ale pubs in the city when a group of us visited 40 pubs in the central area in one day from 10am till 11pm, so I am keeping off those. Too many Banks pubs anyway.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    ...when a group of us visited 40 pubs in the central area in one day
    Eh?? Did you share them out? If not, I don't think there will be enough of these, , to adequately genuflect to you Gill!

Just tried a reply and got firefox couldn't find server. Going to try later as the race is starting.

I used the excellent areas of Birmingham that Andy has been sorting and looked for pubs needing reviews where possible, and some that need photos.

Only found 3 postcode areas with no pubs (unless I missed them) in from 1 to 48. They are B22, B39 and B41.

Will take a long time to complete the crawl, but will be a fun project I reckon.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Couldn't find server is the equivalent in IE of getting "Internet Explorer cannot find this web page", it means you have lost Internet connection, either a bad ISP or a flaky wireless connection normally.

Your observation is excellent, I just did a check and there are no pubs listed by us in B22, B39 or B41 (a new challenge for Andy )

Just to add a for the efforts as well!

I used the excellent areas of Birmingham that Andy has been sorting and looked for pubs needing reviews where possible, and some that need photos.

Only found 3 postcode areas with no pubs (unless I missed them) in from 1 to 48. They are B22, B39 and B41.

Will take a long time to complete the crawl, but will be a fun project I reckon.
    You will find no pub anywhere in Bournville area cos they are Quaker country.

I'll glad to help you with B77,B78 and B79.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

According to Wapedia (http://wapedia.mobi/en/B_postcode_area) , B22 is blank and 39 or 41 don't exist (B40 is assigned to the NEC and airport).

The Royal Mail website has B22 1.. down for Lloyd Registrars, BIRMINGHAM and is also therefore a non-geographical postcode which means it is reserved for the small number of organisations which receive a very large volume of mail

This is the closest you will get to Bournville http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubmap/37757/ - although postcodes are your main objective
    Waes hael!

Just to let you know I went to a few today.

B1.. Panama Bar, Gas Street
    B2..Cafe Rouge, New Street
    B3..Bushwackers, Edmund Street
    B4..Sound Bar, King Edward Building, Corporation Street.
    B5..Twenty Three Essex Street, 23 Essex Street.

Best laid plans and all that meant I went to Essex St first. Too early but took photo. It actaually has a sign and is the Queens Tavern.
    Took photo of Craven Arms and Gough Hotel on my way up the road.
    Panama is Bobby Browns and was not open. Took photos of it and the Tap and Spile from Gas Street and the canalside of the pubs.

Had a half of landlord in Tap and Spile - thirsty work.

Bushwackers closed too. Doesn't open at all Sunday.

Went to Wellington and met a friend who's mum had died that morning, so as he was on his own I had a few drinks wiith him to keep him company. Rang hubby who joined us, and when we left I called in Cafe Rouge after taking photo, but no real ale and basically food and wine sort of place.

I have wet my appetite for the project though. I had no idea what I was going to find and that is a bit exciting in itself. Pubs picked at random.

I can put something on the sites although not full reviews or ratings, but not tonight. Dropping off in front of the golf!!

Actually this challenge got me thinking.. since I have done most of B postcode in the past, I have decided to start fresh by starting in B1 (City Centre and Ladywood) and ending in B98 (Redditch)
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Just to let you know I went to a few today.

B5..Twenty Three Essex Street, 23 Essex Street.

Best laid plans and all that meant I went to Essex St first. Too early but took photo. It actaually has a sign and is the Queens Tavern.
    Took photo of Craven Arms and Gough Hotel on my way up the road.
    Panama is Bobby Browns and was not open. Took photos of it and the Tap and Spile from Gas Street and the canalside of the pubs.

Had a half of landlord in Tap and Spile - thirsty work.

Bushwackers closed too. Doesn't open at all Sunday.

Went to Wellington and met a friend who's mum had died that morning, so as he was on his own I had a few drinks wiith him to keep him company. Rang hubby who joined us, and when we left I called in Cafe Rouge after taking photo, but no real ale and basically food and wine sort of place.

I have whet my appetite for the project though. I had no idea what I was going to find and that is a bit exciting in itself. Pubs picked at random.

I can put something on the sites although not full reviews or ratings, but not tonight. Dropping off in front of the golf!!
    I suspect "Queen's" Tavern is a play on words, given the part of the city centre that it's in. I may be wrong though.

Of course, by going in the Wellington early on in your crawl things can generally only get worse......

You should have popped into the Craven Arms - I thought it was a really good pub
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 12-04-2010 at 17:55.
    Waes hael!