Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PuG Summer meet - St Albans: Friday 17th July 2015

Default PuG Summer meet - St Albans: Friday 17th July 2015

As the date and venue for this summer's Pubs Galore meet up have been agreed, should we start looking at some pubs? I did a little tour there one afternoon before a Luton Town match earlier this year:

The Garibaldi
    The White Lion
    The Goat
    The Beehive
    (these were pubs that hadn't had a recent review on the site)

In the same area, there are also
    White Hart Tap
    Hare & Hounds
    (which I didn't have time for, and they'd recently been reviewed)

I would suggest that Ye Olde Fighting Cocks would probably be one we ought to include. There's a nice walk through the park to The Six Bells and The Rose & Crown. Going back towards town there's Lower Red Lion. Someone recommended The Foragers at Verulam Arms to me, and there's Farriers Arms with historical Camra connections. I don't know the town centre pubs, apart from The Mermaid, which I would suggest might make a good final pub, as it's not very far from the station.

Any suggestions?
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

That's a very good list and also suggests a sensible crawl route.I would only suggest adding Blacksmiths Arms just before The Mermaid at the end of the crawl as folk head back towards the station.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    That's a very good list and also suggests a sensible crawl route.I would only suggest adding Blacksmiths Arms just before The Mermaid at the end of the crawl as folk head back towards the station.
    ...as long as it's not too late, as John's review suggests that it gets pretty loud here on a Friday night.

The Wetherspoons seems to be above average, going by John's review, and would seem to suggest itself as a start point for the crawl.

Steve's review of The Victoria gives an inkling of why he's giving this crawl a miss! (To be fair, it might have improved in the intervening four years.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Does anyone know anything about Dylans Kings Arms? Seems to be doing craft beers, but is it keg only?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Dylans Kings Arms? Seems to be doing craft beers, but is it keg only?
    They have three handpulls according to WhatPub with Dark Star APA and Oakham JHB plus a rotating guest (although that photo at the top of their Twitter page shows APA, Hophead and Tribute as the three ales). Real cider also available. Run by the same people that run The Boot, which also sounds like it might be worth a look.

This Space For Hire

Its a smart modern food led pub and last Saturday had 2 oakham beers and a local three brewers -golden which was good .Whether its one for the crawl is another matter.

This Space For Hire

I have been to St Albans quite a few times as my daughter lives there.This is my suggestion but feel free to add or delete any pubs.Quite compact crawl which keeps everyone together.Meet at
    Wetherspoon -Waterend Barn then walk back to
    Mermaid then
    Blacksmiths
    Cock (greene king pub with guests or walk to the Craft and Cleaver a new pub then
    Boot
    Peahen (modern Mcmullens)
    Beehive
    White hart tap (should have their own brewed beer on early june expected
    Garibaldi (fullers with guests)
    Hare and Hounds
    White lion
    Goat (chas wells with guest)
    White hart hotel (I will play my joker card and say this is worth a visit)
    if we miss out the Peahen and Goat we could walk the 10 mins to the
    Farrier + foragers at the Verulam +lower red lion

I have missed out the Farmers boy as its not a great pub but the Verulam beers brewed out the back can be very good and can be visited on the way back to the station.What do you think.

There is a useful feature about, and map of, St Albans pubs on pages 50 / 51 in the current issue of Nottingham Camra's Nottingham Drinker magazine. Available here:

http://nottinghamcamra.org/ND/ND127_2015_WEB.pdf

NB - This is a very large file, almost 30 MB!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    There is a useful feature about, and map of, St Albans pubs on pages 50 / 51 in the current issue of Nottingham Camra's Nottingham Drinker magazine. Available here:

http://nottinghamcamra.org/ND/ND127_2015_WEB.pdf

NB - This is a very large file, almost 30 MB!
    Their crawl is very like my first thoughts - albeit theirs goes anticlockwise round the city!

I tend to agree with John that the Farmers Boy is not worth bothering with (see my review of 26th February 2015 and his of a couple of days later). I think the Fighting Cocks and the walk through the park to the Six Bells are worth doing, though. Perhaps we need to separate out the "must does" from the "wild cards".

How about this:

Meet at Wetherspoon - Waterend Barn

Boot [wild card: Kings Arms ]

Peahen [wild card: White Hart]

White Hart Tap [wild card: Beehive]

Garibaldi [wild card: White Lion]

Hare & Hounds [wild card: Goat]

Fighting Cocks

Six Bells [wild card: Rose & Crown]

Lower Red Lion [wild card: Verulum Arms]

Farriers Arms [off piste: Craft & Cleaver ]

Blacksmiths [wild card: Cock]

Mermaid

That's 12 pubs on the central crawl, plus eight wild cards and one which I've designated "off piste". (This would have qualified as a "Full Alan Winfield", but he took me to task about that after York, because he now aims to do 22 pubs in a day, not 21.)

Anyone who doesn't fancy the walk through the park to the Six Bells can go direct from the Fighting Cocks to the Lower Red Lion, past the abbey.

I haven't checked the opening times for any of these, by the way - I know the Hare & Hounds is a late opener in the early part of the week but is OK Fridays. The Mermaid is about 8 to 10 minutes from the station, according to Google maps, so seems a suitable last pub.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 26-05-2015 at 18:16.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Their crawl is very like my first thoughts - albeit theirs goes anticlockwise round the city!

I tend to agree with John that the Farmers Boy is not worth bothering with (see my review of 26th February 2015 and his of a couple of days later). I think the Fighting Cocks and the walk through the park to the Six Bells are worth doing, though. Perhaps we need to separate out the "must does" from the "wild cards".

How about this:

Meet at Wetherspoon - Waterend Barn

Boot [wild card: Kings Arms ]

Peahen [wild card: White Hart]

White Hart Tap [wild card: Beehive]

Garibaldi [wild card: White Lion]

Hare & Hounds [wild card: Goat]

Fighting Cocks

Six Bells [wild card: Rose & Crown]

Lower Red Lion [wild card: Verulum Arms]

Farriers Arms [off piste: Craft & Cleaver ]

Blacksmiths [wild card: Cock]

Mermaid

That's 12 pubs on the central crawl, plus eight wild cards and one which I've designated "off piste". (This would have qualified as a "Full Alan Winfield", but he took me to task about that after York, because he now aims to do 22 pubs in a day, not 21.)

Anyone who doesn't fancy the walk through the park to the Six Bells can go direct from the Fighting Cocks to the Lower Red Lion, past the abbey.

I haven't checked the opening times for any of these, by the way - I know the Hare & Hounds is a late opener in the early part of the week but is OK Fridays. The Mermaid is about 8 to 10 minutes from the station, according to Google maps, so seems a suitable last pub.
    That looks fine to me.I will be in the Craft and Cleaver on Saturday so will find out if its worth including and I have deleted my review of the Fighting Cocks(will it have changed its non PC name by then to the Happy Hens) as it was the Lower Red Lion I visited. cheers