Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PuG Summer meet - St Albans: Friday 17th July 2015

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Their crawl is very like my first thoughts - albeit theirs goes anticlockwise round the city!

I tend to agree with John that the Farmers Boy is not worth bothering with (see my review of 26th February 2015 and his of a couple of days later). I think the Fighting Cocks and the walk through the park to the Six Bells are worth doing, though. Perhaps we need to separate out the "must does" from the "wild cards".

How about this:

Meet at Wetherspoon - Waterend Barn

Boot [wild card: Kings Arms ]

Peahen [wild card: White Hart]

White Hart Tap [wild card: Beehive]

Garibaldi [wild card: White Lion]

Hare & Hounds [wild card: Goat]

Fighting Cocks

Six Bells [wild card: Rose & Crown]

Lower Red Lion [wild card: Verulum Arms]

Farriers Arms [off piste: Craft & Cleaver ]

Blacksmiths [wild card: Cock]

Mermaid

That's 12 pubs on the central crawl, plus eight wild cards and one which I've designated "off piste". (This would have qualified as a "Full Alan Winfield", but he took me to task about that after York, because he now aims to do 22 pubs in a day, not 21.)

Anyone who doesn't fancy the walk through the park to the Six Bells can go direct from the Fighting Cocks to the Lower Red Lion, past the abbey.

I haven't checked the opening times for any of these, by the way - I know the Hare & Hounds is a late opener in the early part of the week but is OK Fridays. The Mermaid is about 8 to 10 minutes from the station, according to Google maps, so seems a suitable last pub.
    Will,that's a great plan.We should be past The White Hart Tap before their 2.30pm afternoon closure time {My mistake that's the food serving time its open ALL DAY from 11am} and be close to the Verulam Arms for their 5pm opening time,as well as the 5.30pm reopening at The Farriers. (Times gathered from What Pub)

For the early birds ,I couldnt find too many pubs open before noon,apart from the Waterend Barn JDW( of course) and The Blacksmiths (11am) so that just begs the question of when folk intend to arrive in St Albans . I can get there at any time without problems,although I'm not hitting the Waterend Barn at 8am
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 05-06-2015 at 11:45. Reason: Got the opening time of the White Hart Tap wrong.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Will,that's a great plan.We should be past The White Hart Tap before their 2.30pm afternoon closure time and be close to the Verulam Arms for their 5pm opening time,as well as the 5.30pm reopening at The Farriers. (Times gathered from What Pub)
    Thanks Nev, for doing the research I was too time-poor to do myself. If we aim to arrive at the Boot for 12, and assume 40 to 45 minutes for each pub (including walking time - those intent on picking up the wild cards will need to go at a different speed, of course), that would get us to the last pub at around a quarter to seven. For me, that would mean a bit of a dash for the 19:28 to get home to Sheffield at around 10pm, though as I've been to the Mermaid a few times before I'm not that bothered if I have to skip it. Hope this schedule will not inconvenience others, though I get the impression most of the northern contingent will be giving this one a miss.

Anyone got any comments or suggestions?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Will,that's a great plan.We should be past The White Hart Tap before their 2.30pm afternoon closure time and be close to the Verulam Arms for their 5pm opening time,as well as the 5.30pm reopening at The Farriers. (Times gathered from What Pub)

For the early birds ,I couldnt find too many pubs open before noon,apart from the Waterend Barn JDW( of course) and The Blacksmiths (11am) so that just begs the question of when folk intend to arrive in St Albans . I can get there at any time without problems,although I'm not hitting the Waterend Barn at 8am
    I would be looking at arriving about 11.30ish, not governed by advanced tickets so can leave whenever.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I would be looking at arriving about 11.30ish, not governed by advanced tickets so can leave whenever.
    Anyone travelling a long way and needs to catch an early train can get to the Waterend Barn earlier then the Cock 11.00am and the Blacksmiths 11.00 am opening then meet a the Boot 12.00 so they can get a few pubs in.Surprised and disappointed that they still shut on Friday afternoon. cheers

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Anyone travelling a long way and needs to catch an early train can get to the Waterend Barn earlier then the Cock 11.00am and the Blacksmiths 11.00 am opening then meet a the Boot 12.00 so they can get a few pubs in.Surprised and disappointed that they still shut on Friday afternoon. cheers
    Actually shouldn't be surprised as I was I the Waterend Barn at 10.00 on a Sat morning recently and their must have been the best part of a hundred people in.Why go to a pub that opens at 12.00 and throws you out at 2.30

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    For me to arrive any earlier than 11:30 would involve buying a peak time ticket and more expense, so 11:30 ish it is.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields