Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Otley - Queen of the North

Default Otley - Queen of the North

The North Group, who run North in Leeds, Further North, er further north in Leeds, the Cross Keys in Holbeck and a couple more high quality bars have just joined the new beer mecca that is Otley. We have a stunning collection of pubs in this unassuming Yorkshire market town, once a star of Emmerdale as Honton. Shame it's a bit of a trip for anyone outside Yorkshire otherwise I might suggest it for a PuG meet up.

Top pubs

The Fleece Wharfebank Brewery owned (bit of an unjustified campaign against it on here and in the toothy place)
    Junction Inn suffers from the tired "olde ale house" format but still a very good bet
    The Horse and Farrier a Market Town Tavern, need I say more?
    The Old Cock CAMRA POTY but a super pub in spite of that
    The Otley Tavern an unknown quantity as yet recently done up
    and the new North Bar Social unknown but with a brilliant pedigree.

and a couple or three near things one way or another:
    Bay Horse Inn
    Black Bull Inn
    The Bowling Green (JD Wetherspoon)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I love Otley, but have never managed a crawl there, even with a good friend living close to the town centre. Previous visits have always been very family oriented, so I've only managed the odd sneaky pint. However, with yet another quality venue opening, I'm going to have to get my act together. A Northern Branch meeting is one possibility.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    A Northern Branch meeting is one possibility.
    That sounds like (the beginnings of) a plan!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    That sounds like (the beginnings of) a plan!
    Indeed! Me, you, oldboots and ROBC seem the obvious choices. Maybe sometime next month?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

The lack of a railway station in Otley is a bit of a bind and buses from Bradford are a bit thin on the ground.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The lack of a railway station in Otley is a bit of a bind and buses from Bradford are a bit thin on the ground.
    You could get a train to Menston on the Leeds to Ilkley line then either walk to Otley it should take no longer than 15 minutes or wait for a bus,i would walk it then i would know what time i would be arriving in Otley.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    You could get a train to Menston on the Leeds to Ilkley line then either walk to Otley it should take no longer than 15 minutes or wait for a bus,i would walk it then i would know what time i would be arriving in Otley.
    Al is right to mention Menston station, although I think his calculation of a 15 minute walk is rather optimistic. Using The Old Cock as a point of reference, Google maps calculated the distance as 2.5 miles, taking 49 minutes. Walking to Otley would be downhill, but conversely uphill all the way back. The 967 bus runs every 30 mins and only takes 9 minutes to get to Otley.

Another possibility is the X84 bus from Leeds bus station, which takes about 40 mins to Otley. They run every 20 mins for most of the day. It's not the easiest place to get to, but it's possible.

Agreed not an easy place to get to, I can get a direct bus from Harrogate (hourly service until early evening then nowt) only trouble is I don't live in Harrogate.

There are buses (X84 & X52) from Ilkley which does have a rail link. There are ways from cBradford involving two buses changing at the Airport or Pool in Wharfedale but that's getting silly.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Indeed! Me, you, oldboots and ROBC seem the obvious choices. Maybe sometime next month?
    I'm free from July 22 to the end of the month if anyone fancies a trip there, no direct bus on Sundays though.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I'm free from July 22 to the end of the month if anyone fancies a trip there, no direct bus on Sundays though.
    At the moment, could probably manage any day apart from the 22nd itself.