Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - April 2015

Default Pub Of The Month - April 2015

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

The Folly,Napton.

The amount I drank here was the height of folly,but it's a great canalside pub with that "middle of nowhere" feel.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

The Queens Head for me.

Hall and Woodhouse aren't all bad.

No contest:

POTM The Craft Beer Co (EC1). Great beer.

The Junction mainly for the amazing Woodfest

Admiral Hardy for being something different in the area
    Last edited by hondo; 01-05-2015 at 15:16.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Default Spoilt for choice

Lots of fantastic pubs this month - including the old favourites Victoria Hotel and Crown Inn in Beeston; one of best 'spoons going (the Trent Bridge Inn) and the splendid art deco edifice that is the Test Match Hotel in West Bridgford; and the micro-brewery reinvigorated Old Volunteer (Flipside Brewery) in Carlton and Robin Hood & Little John in Arnold (Lincoln Green Brewery) - all in a visit to the Nottingham area.

However, the top three were all in a different trip - the historic and picturesque National Trust Fleece Inn in Bretforton and the legendary All Nations in Madeley (one of the 'famous four', supposedly desperately old-fashioned, pubs still brewing their own beer when Camra was founded).

Pub of the month, though, in the chocolate-box-picture village of Great Tew, was the absolutely splendid Falkland Arms. Lost for words, almost...

Two stand out pubs in April for me,both in Surrey, my first experience of a Micropub , Cobbets Micropub in Dorking, great little place, good concept and importantly good beer.
    And in Guildford The Kings Head , the pub overcomes a couple of obstacles in my thinking, firstly its a Fullers pub, but along with with three or four usual Fullers suspects they have had some Fullers specials ,on my last two visits, Wild River and Olivers Island,two Fullers beers I like very much along with at least one good guest, last time Tillingbourne Hop Troll as well as real Cider.
    Second obstacle , its a former traditional pub where the interior has been modernised, this can kill some pubs, in this case I think it has breathed new life into the place,its still very pubby with a very good ambiance. Its POTM.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 02-05-2015 at 08:31.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

My nomination for April is a real blast from the past. It's this place which I had only been to once, nearly forty years ago. I think everyone knows something of the history of this place but it has been faithfully restored to what it was in the distant past. I don't recall much of the classic interior from those days other than the fact that it was a tiny public bar, about the size of a large micropub.
    The one thing I do remember clearly from my first visit was that the single Ma Pardoe's home brewed beer was a low original gravity and unremarkable brew as was Mrs Lewis's beer at the All Nations not far away in Madeley, Telford.
    Today the Old Swan brews four regular old school ales. One of these (the Original) is I'm fairly sure the same recipe of old. It is low ABV and undistinguished but is only £2.20 a pint. The other beers are their Entire a mid-range bitter, Dark Swan a stronger dark mild and Bumble Hole Bitter a strong (5.2%) bitter. All of these are less than three quid a pint. I particularly liked the Dark Swan and Bumble Hole.
    Another remarkable fact about this place is that it is leased from Punch Taverns. I suspect that the restaurant that is now attached to the pub and brewery pays most of the rent otherwise the beer would be nearer London prices. If you've never been here or have only visited in between Ma Pardoe's passing and the modern restoration then it is a "must visit" pub. One of the more verbose correspondents on this site says much the same thing!
    The pub is in an area with no shortage of quirky unspoilt old pubs in addition to well stocked free houses so even if it fails to impress there are lots of other options available.

POTM The Old Swan (Ma Pardoe's)

In a thin month for pub visiting,I'll go for The Milk House, on the grounds that it afforded my BOTW for two weeks in April.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.