Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer 2015 PuG crawl ?

Rugby, Bristol, York were the last 3 so aren't we due a Midlands one next?
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 20-04-2015 at 08:08.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Yes. I think Oxford probably counts as South! So how about simply getting the next two sorted now:

Derby (Midlands) next then Oxford (South) after.

Sorted!

Now we just need to set dates.
    Last edited by Quinno; 20-04-2015 at 10:15.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Has this turned into 3 or more PGCs per annum?
    You'll be running out of significant (and achievable) destinations at this rate...

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    A quick look at this thread shows the following (I have tried to filter out the smaller crawls, such as Norwich and Carshalton in 2012, leaving only the larger events):

12/11/10 Birmingham M
    11/11/11 Nottingham M (or N?)
    2/03/12 Liverpool N
    22/03/13 Leicester M
    13/07/13 Reading S
    22/11/13 Leeds N
    21/03/14 Worcester S (or M?)
    13/06/14 Rugby M
    14/11/14 Bristol S (or W?)
    27/03/15 York N

We seem to have done three per year only since 2013, so we're still setting precedents, with nothing ressembling a rigid schedule. Looking at this list, we've done more Midlands than anything else, which is fair enough I suppose. To some extent, our perceptions of whether a city is N, S or M is determined by which part of the country we live in. Nottingham seems like the Midlands to me, but to someone from Sussex it's pretty far North. As I mentioned in a previous thread, sticking rigidly to a M-S-N schedule would mean always going to the same stretch of country at the same time of year, so a bit of flexibility would be desirable, I suggest.

If we're going for June or July we need to set a date pretty soon or we'll miss the advance train fares. Can someone set up a poll with Oxford, Derby, Cambridge, Lincoln, St Albans (I've left out Bournemouth, Southampton and Brighton for the sake of brevity/clarity and because my northern-based compadres will shoot me down in flames otherwise). Have I missed any of the (sensible) suggestions?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    A quick look at this thread shows the following (I have tried to filter out the smaller crawls, such as Norwich and Carshalton in 2012, leaving only the larger events):

12/11/10 Birmingham M
    11/11/11 Nottingham M (or N?)
    2/03/12 Liverpool N
    22/03/13 Leicester M
    13/07/13 Reading S
    22/11/13 Leeds N
    21/03/14 Worcester S (or M?)
    13/06/14 Rugby M
    14/11/14 Bristol S (or W?)
    27/03/15 York N

We seem to have done three per year only since 2013, so we're still setting precedents, with nothing ressembling a rigid schedule. Looking at this list, we've done more Midlands than anything else, which is fair enough I suppose. To some extent, our perceptions of whether a city is N, S or M is determined by which part of the country we live in. Nottingham seems like the Midlands to me, but to someone from Sussex it's pretty far North. As I mentioned in a previous thread, sticking rigidly to a M-S-N schedule would mean always going to the same stretch of country at the same time of year, so a bit of flexibility would be desirable, I suggest.

If we're going for June or July we need to set a date pretty soon or we'll miss the advance train fares. Can someone set up a poll with Oxford, Derby, Cambridge, Lincoln, St Albans (I've left out Bournemouth, Southampton and Brighton for the sake of brevity/clarity and because my northern-based compadres will shoot me down in flames otherwise). Have I missed any of the (sensible) suggestions?
    Reading is North for me , Brighton is South
    On a serious note is Norwich worth a shout, I have no idea how easy it is to get to?
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 21-04-2015 at 06:45.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Reading is North for me , Brighton is South
    On a serious note is Norwich worth a shout, I have no idea how easy it is to get to?
    It's a pain in rump. 3.5 hours from Reading! God knows how long from somewhere like Liverpool or Rochdale...!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    It's a pain in rump. 3.5 hours from Reading! God knows how long from somewhere like Rochdale...!
    6 hours in a car, 5 hours 10 minutes and £113 by train. Ain't gonna be happening for me.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

If the Pubs Galore crawl does go to Derby please be aware that the decent pubs are not that close to each other.

I would have thought that those who have not been to Derby before would like to do the Brunswick and Alexendra which are a bit out of the way but close to the
    train station where most members would arrive,
    you could take a short cut through Bass's rec to the Smithfield then do Exeter and Peacock another walk to the Furnace then it is a good walk back into
    town.
    If you go up siddals road the first pubs you will see will be the Castle and Falcon then White Horse and Noahs Ark,these are probably not the sort of pubs
    PG crawlers would like doing,i always drink in these if i am waiting for a bus home.

The other route into town is up station road and do the Station,it is then a good walk to the middle of town there are other pubs like the Crown and Cushion and Royal Telegraph
    both Marstons,the next pub is the Neptune this one is definatly not for PG pub crawlers,the next decent pub is the Babbington (Spoons).

Things will get even harder after the Spoons,lots of pubs i could name i have been in almost every pub in Derby.

I am only posting this after having a drink with Bucking Fastard in Walthamstow,during a conversation he said some members are not that fit
    i would'nt like members to go to Derby and find there is a lot of walking.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

This Space For Hire

Central Oxford has historic pubs (Turf, Bear, et al.) and in close proximity to one another. It's generally quiet once the students have gone (end of June). For those coming from (or via) London, the buses run 24 hours. The bus stops right in the centre and the railway station too is very central. Parking is not good; the Park and Ride in Headington is probably the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I am only posting this after having a drink with Bucking Fastard in Walthamstow,during a conversation he said some members are not that fit
    i would'nt like members to go to Derby and find there is a lot of walking.
    But there is quite a decent bus service...
    Come On You Hatters!