Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Google images of pubs

Default Google images of pubs

I was wondering what the opinion is, of Google images being used on Pubs Galore where there is no existing photo of the pub.
    There is already a blog called Closed Pubs which uses images from Google, The Lost Pubs Project sometimes uses Google images. I just thought it might be an idea to include Google images on Pubs Galore. I know you have to ask permission from Google, then credit them with the image, but that is no hardship. What do other people think?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I was wondering what the opinion is, of Google images being used on Pubs Galore where there is no existing photo of the pub.
    There is already a blog called Closed Pubs which uses images from Google, The Lost Pubs Project sometimes uses Google images. I just thought it might be an idea to include Google images on Pubs Galore. I know you have to ask permission from Google, then credit them with the image, but that is no hardship. What do other people think?
    I would think that this isn't possible as when you submit a pic it becomes the site's property and gets the PG stamp. I don't have a problem with that but I do try and hide the stamp in the sky where possible.
    I have been tempted to add a picture of a pub without a pic using google streets just to see if the oicture police could identify it but I haven't done so!

A problem with Google is that the images are anywhere from 4 to 7 years old, my historian's instincts don't like old photos pretending to be current.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    There is no way to ask them for permission, the only way you are allowed to incorporate streetview images is in the way they have done at useyourlocal. The way that Lost Pubs are doing it, such as here http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/hampshir...whitehart.html simply isn't allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I would think that this isn't possible as when you submit a pic it becomes the site's property and gets the PG stamp. I don't have a problem with that but I do try and hide the stamp in the sky where possible.
    I have been tempted to add a picture of a pub without a pic using google streets just to see if the oicture police could identify it but I haven't done so!
    Over the years I've rejected about a dozen street view screenshots, I suspect some may have got through. There are ways of trying to spot them, not least if you look at the example I posted on the Lost Pubs site you can see a watermark saying "©2011 Google"

Thanks for the clarification,