Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Beer festival at the Western in Leicester

Default Beer festival at the Western in Leicester

Some of you may have seen this thread about the beer festival at The Western in Leicester. It runs from 21st to 25th May, the Bank Holiday weekend. I'm planning to go there on the Sunday with a few people from Sheffield. Anyone fancy joining us?

The idea is to take in some of the other delights* of Leicester as well as sampling a few beers at the festival. We'll be arriving on the 12:08 train and will probably require some refreshments on the way to the Western. Can anyone remember which pubs we went to last time, and more importantly, are they still good?

Cheers

Will

*pubs
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Some of you may have seen this thread about the beer festival at The Western in Leicester. It runs from 21st to 25th May, the Bank Holiday weekend. I'm planning to go there on the Sunday with a few people from Sheffield. Anyone fancy joining us?

The idea is to take in some of the other delights* of Leicester as well as sampling a few beers at the festival. We'll be arriving on the 12:08 train and will probably require some refreshments on the way to the Western. Can anyone remember which pubs we went to last time, and more importantly, are they still good?

Cheers

Will

*pubs
    Don't think I will be able to make that date unfortunately, I do remember enjoying here as well as here in particular.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Agree with Swan and Rushes, always a fav of mine. Globe is good traditional pub with excellent Everards. If you have time, you could aim for Oadby's Cow and Plough which is the other Steamin Billy pub - one I'd like to get back to soon. And The Pub is newer but with great beer selection, don't like the Kings which backs on to it though, as I've not had good beer there, apparently a contrary opinion to others of these esteemed pages...
    Last edited by trainman; 14-04-2015 at 07:48.

Over my three visits to The Pub I've found variable beer quality - I wouldn't personally go out of the way to do it but it is a nice walk into town that way. The Salmon has always been excellent, as has the Swan & Rushes. The Criterion isn't quite the force it once was (mainly because of the increased quality of competition) but is still well-worth a quick visit.

Spritzer Swallower

All the pubs mentioned above are worth a visit. Other worthwhile alternatives not mentioned are the Parcel yard' adjoining the station, Queen of Bradgate in the city centre which after a lengthy closure has reopened & is a much better pub than it used to be, Sir Robert Peel on Jarrom st & Black Horse on Braunie gate, the latter two are no too far from the Western. Take into account that on Sunday City are at home to QPR in the last match of the season & the Western will be rammed before & after the game. Leicester is a great City for pubs, for those who have never visited hope you enjoy the day.