Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The 'going out' culture

This Space For Hire

Gulible punters probably. I met a friend at Craft beer 100 who tweeted last week that he had a pint of Orbit(newish London brewer)-lager.£5.50 keg in the Kings Arms se1.Reasonable price for central London he added.He refused to see my point that that was expensive for a beer that was brewed 2 miles away.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyMick View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here I imagine the reasoning from a craft brewer going something like this:

'We have a much better product than mass produced keg lager. We don't have the ecomonies of scale because we are small. We put more time and effort into brewing and use better quality ingredients than the big boys. Customers are willing to pay for quality'

Problem with this argument is that cask ale brewers can make the same argument. So why is 'craft' more expensive? Marketing and trends, and gullible punters!
    Marketing doesn't come into it.Breweries such as Kernal have never picked up a phone to sell beer.Word of mouth sells good beer.cheers

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Yes, a very expensive pub indeed.They had a beer on from Bearhug brewery about 5.0 at £7.00 a pint.I questioned the female manager why it was so expensive and she said it comes all the way from America.I told her to google it but she refused as she knew it was American.Its a new London brewer.One nil to me. cheers
    And people think it's odd that I rarely drink in Central London! When I last went there I stuck to a few Spoons with 50p vouchers plus 20p off for Cheapskate Monday and a reduction for the London Beer Festival so I didn't get fleeced at all. Nice beer as well!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    And people think it's odd that I rarely drink in Central London! When I last went there I stuck to a few Spoons with 50p vouchers plus 20p off for Cheapskate Monday and a reduction for the London Beer Festival so I didn't get fleeced at all. Nice beer as well!
    Maybe us older drinkers have a different prospective on prices.While I sometimes pay a lot of money for a beer it will be something I really want and have heard its good.(doesn't always work).I have seen beer prices rise from 9p (pre-decimal )to over £4 now.To pay £4 you want a good beer not something boring and brown.You may think from the beers I post each week I use the scattergun approach but I walk past loads of poor brewers beers before I pick the one I want.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Marketing doesn't come into it.Breweries such as Kernal have never picked up a phone to sell beer.Word of mouth sells good beer.cheers
    Yeah your probably right, although they are probably all over free marketing on social media. The word i'm looking for is hype - it gets created one way or another. Also when you put a high price on beer, i'd say that's a form of marketing in itself. It's saying 'look how good my beer is, I have to charge a premium'.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyMick View Post
    Yeah your probably right, although they are probably all over free marketing on social media. The word i'm looking for is hype - it gets created one way or another. Also when you put a high price on beer, i'd say that's a form of marketing in itself. It's saying 'look how good my beer is, I have to charge a premium'.
    Wifebeater ran a whole ad campaign along these lines, "Reassuringly Expensive" and the muppets all fell for it!!

End of the day, they sell their beer and make a profit, what we or anyone else thinks is bye the bye, unfortunately.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields