Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'going out' culture

Teetotal

Default The 'going out' culture

So I'm curious. For so long there has been this culture of going out and getting smashed out of your brains with no regard for anyone, including yourself. This isn't aimed towards anyone in particular, especially anyone here. A friend of mine said, "craft ales are the other side of wine tasting." He said that it's more about the taste than it is getting smashed. This is a concept I can get behind.

What I want to know is, what do you guys think of this stigma that has been attached to drinking alcohol for so long? Granted, it may have changed in recent times, but what can we do to change it?

This Space For Hire

Do you mean the town centre/weekend nights/vertical drinking culture - that's only evolved - and I suspect is now unevolving - over the last twenty years or so.

Teetotal

Yeah, exactly that. I'd love to drink ale without being looked at as a drunk (I should point out that my culture and the area I live in aren't the most accommodating of the 'drinking' lifestyle). It's why I've resorted to drinking from home and ordering online. It's not the same, but the plus side is that I've discovered a bunch of ales I probably wouldn't have if I was at my local.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by BootCross View Post
    Yeah, exactly that. I'd love to drink ale without being looked at as a drunk . It's why I've resorted to drinking from home and ordering online..
    So you are now not doing what you state you like to do,that is go out and have a few pints,i would not bother what other people think about you.

I go out on a regular basis and go in 21 or 22 different pubs i am not bothered what people think of me,if i go out with my wife to the local Spoons we will drink plenty of beer during an evening and my wife always ends up on a double brandy,we dont give a *oss if other people are watching our drinking it is up to us what we do when in a pub as long as we dont get too *issed.

Go out to a pub and have a few drinks you might meet some interesting people and even make new friends.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    So you are now not doing what you state you like to do,that is go out and have a few pints,i would not bother what other people think about you.

I go out on a regular basis and go in 21 or 22 different pubs i am not bothered what people think of me,if i go out with my wife to the local Spoons we will drink plenty of beer during an evening and my wife always ends up on a double brandy,we dont give a *oss if other people are watching our drinking it is up to us what we do when in a pub as long as we dont get too *issed.

Go out to a pub and have a few drinks you might meet some interesting people and even make new friends.
    With you on that one. I had a good few last night in three different spoons I dont go out to get rats but like a good few ale sod what others think at nearly 60 Im past caring what others may think. Only time I tend too avoid spoons is Fri & Sat nights because its packed with yobs and Sunday lunch times till mid evenings because family's & kids.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Yeah, exactly that. I'd love to drink ale without being looked at as a drunk (I should point out that my culture and the area I live in aren't the most accommodating of the 'drinking' lifestyle). It's why I've resorted to drinking from home and ordering online. It's not the same, but the plus side is that I've discovered a bunch of ales I probably wouldn't have if I was at my local.
    Do people in pubs really look down on ale drinkers as drunks? Not in my experience.

I agree with Alesonly and Al 11000. Just do what you want to do and never mind what other people might be thinking.
    Come On You Hatters!

Go out while you can! I have two young kids so often end up having a few beers at home with the wife. We haven't been out since Christmas and I can't remember the last time we went out out.

If you get a bit paranoid about people thinking you drink too much maybe you should try having a few beers out of your area. Maybe stay in your area but drink in a few different pubs.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

If your personal circumstances allow, why not try taking a trip out some
    where away from your area once a week or month, try some new pubs and hopefully new breweries, Its so much better getting out and about discovering new pubs/ales and indeed people, although I have been known to drink like a fish on occasion (sometimes quite true,) I rarely drink at home, it doesn't interest me and I'd rather have a cup of tea. Pubs rule for me,but of course at a cost.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

A friend of mine said, "craft ales are the other side of wine tasting." He said that it's more about the taste than it is getting smashed. This is a concept I can get behind.
    This is what most Real Ale drinkers on this site have been doing for years before the word "craft" was the latest buzz word. That is drinking Real Ale to appreciate the taste. Craft can be Real Ale or keg! If a craft keg can be a decent drink, just think how good it could be if it was served in a natural unprocessed Real Ale state.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    This is what most Real Ale drinkers on this site have been doing for years before the word "craft" was the latest buzz word. That is drinking Real Ale to appreciate the taste. Craft can be Real Ale or keg! If a craft keg can be a decent drink, just think how good it could be if it was served in a natural unprocessed Real Ale state.
    At a sensible price.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields