Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

What is it with all these Lager recipes I've been publishing? This one is on request, mind.

We're back in the early days of Barclay Perkins Lager-brewing adventure. Only a few years after their shiny new Lager brewery had only been commissioned.

I had this odd thought the other day. What if the success of their Lager brewing had been the cause of the brewery's downfall. It struck me that maybe Courage had really wanted to get their hands on Barclay Perkins' Lager brewery? It makes sense, because that's what Courage didn't have. Just a thought. Not sure if it's true or not.

Initially, Barclay Perkins only brewed two Lagers, Export and Dark. The former was a pale Lager in the Export style. The latter a British take on a Münchener. Later a weaker draught Lager called Draught was introduced. Exciting stuff, eh?

I'm intrigued by the differences in the grist of Export and Dark. Our beer today is all-malt, while Export had around 25% corn grits. Making it look more like an American than a Continental beer. Not that Dark has a grist like a Bavarian beer. Yes, it's all malt, but I don't think they would have used black and crystal malt in Munich.

The hopping definitely isn't along German. Pretty sure they would never have used American hops. Or Goldings, for that matter. Though 50% of the total is Saaz.

All in all, a bit of an odd mix of British and Continental ingredients. But still way more authentic than modern industrial British attempts at Lager.

That's me done, so it's over to me . . . . . .

1925 Barclay Perkins Dark Lager
pilsner malt 2 row 55.50 lb 81.62%
crystal malt 60l 11.50 lb 16.91%
black malt 1.00 lb 1.47%
Cluster 90 min 3.75 oz
Saaz 60 min 7.50 oz
Goldings 30 min 3.75 oz
OG 1058
FG 1020
ABV 5.03
Apparent attenuation 65.52%
IBU 42
SRM 19
Mash at 156º F
Sparge at 170º F
Boil time 90 minutes
pitching temp 48.5º F
Yeast Wyeast 2042 Danish lager

For those wishing to go the full decoction hog, here are the details of the mash:

Let me know if you're enjoying these Lager recipes.

More...