Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: cider tax

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Cannot see beyond their own noses. It was obvious that to single out cider was a bad move, it should never have been mooted in the first place. So how many clever plans have this shower had to do a U turn on now ? Brown probably wanted the election now so he can book his holidays before all the best are taken.

There'll be a party in the Orchard down by the SS Great Britain tonight then!!!!!!!

Well lets just hope this is not just a short lived celerbration I remember the last time the Tory's got in. First thing the incoming Tory Gov done when they got in was too increase VAT from 8% too 15% in the first budget then under John Majors leadership it went from 15% too 17.5% so why do I think if this Tory gov get in they wont do just the same again. It seems we just cant win.
    As a wise History teacher once told me too see the future you need too look back at the past.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I reckon any incoming Tory government should increase tax on Scotch, after all no jock Tory MPs, smack in gob for Alex Salmond as well, seems a win win to me

The cider duty was always historically low in order to protect rural area industry, seems the tax increase was just politicking, no Labour votes in the West country

I'll be joining in any plans for a campaign to get the duty on beer treated the same
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Former Pubs Galore Coder

2 things, is there any suggestion of a campaign to get beer treated the same?

And has anyone actually understood the cider tax? (I haven't checked). It appeared to be for high strength ciders and I have to admit depending on what that means I am not sure I really cared about it (and not just because I don't drink cider ).

A very basic version, but scrumpy cider is made by pressing scrumpy apples, a blend or just one variety, and then letting wild yeast ferment them into cider. This makes scrumpy naturally between 6 and 8 % abv. So any tax on high strength, to attack the white lightening and frosty jacks, will also hit scrumpy producers.

I repeat that is a VERY basic version of it!
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Thanks, even that little has pretty much infinitely increased my understanding of it, can see why there would be some disgruntlement now.