Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: What we want is Watney's

Default What we want is Watney's

Spot Micheal Caine in the second ad.....

http://bit.ly/1HpJZr2

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post

Yes but did he know what he was doing? They were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Hello Sailor!

That Watney's add froze my screen! I knew the stuff was bad but..............

Nostalgia certainly ain't wot it used to be!

It's interesting that they are advertising bottles rather than keg. One of the reasons for keg beer gaining prominence was the fact that it was consistent. I suspect that a lot of the problems with cask were as a result of it being abused or simply not enough people drinking it. Of course people may not have realised that it was almost as easy to return slops, water down or anything else (let's not go there!) to keg beers as it was with cask. Guinness may have been another matter.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's interesting that they are advertising bottles rather than keg. One of the reasons for keg beer gaining prominence was the fact that it was consistent. I suspect that a lot of the problems with cask were as a result of it being abused or simply not enough people drinking it. Of course people may not have realised that it was almost as easy to return slops, water down or anything else (let's not go there!) to keg beers as it was with cask. Guinness may have been another matter.
    There was a special tool for tampering with the Guinness as well.When I was about 13year old me and my mate drank half the beer from 2 bottles of his dads Whitbread screwtop bottles and replaced it with water.He was not fooled.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The lack of cellar cooling plant didn't help matters. Cask is pretty horrible served at 25C, and lager sales were boosted considerably by the summers of 75 and 76. Nowadays even pubs with gravity stillage have some sort of cooling system. However I doubt the proportion of guvnors with adequate cellar skills is any different, nor those with unfortunate methods of stock control.