Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

I'm starting to feel unstoppable, what with weeks of recipes on a Wednesday behind me. You must be impressed. I know I am.

Spotted the theme of these recipes yet? It's not that difficult to discern.

Once again I'm bundling up several of my obsessions in one rucksack: Barclay Perkins, British Lager, the 1920's and lots more. My catalogue of obsessions is getting as long as Santa's christmas card list. Not all of them even beer-related.

As I've told you many times before, Barclay Perkins dove conficently into the Lager pool just after the end of WW I. To show how serious they were they built a brand new Lager brewhouse and brought in a Danish brewer to run it.

Initially they brewed two beers, a Dark Lager loosely based on the Munich style with a gravity of 1058º and a pale Lager called Export which was a bit weaker. Unlike post-WW II British Lagers, these were unashamedly branded as London Lager. Perhaps lingering anti-German sentiment was the reason.

It's another very simple recipe - pilsner malt, grits, Saaz and Goldings hops. Obviously not very Reinheitsgebot. The grits and cereal mash remind me more of a North American recipe. Though the Saaz - Goldings combination is, er, unusual. And one I'd love to try.

I'm not sure how it compares to a German Export. The gravity is a bit lower than I'd expect, but there's decent level of bitterness.

1928 Barclay Perkins Export
pilsner malt 2 row 9.00 lb 78.26%
corn grits 2.50 lb 21.74%
Saaz 60 min 2.00 oz
Goldings 30 min 1.00 oz
OG 1051
FG 1014
ABV 4.89
Apparent attenuation 72.55%
IBU 36
SRM 3.4
Mash at 158º F
Sparge at 175º F
Boil time 90 minutes
pitching temp 48º F
Yeast Wyeast 2042 Danish lager

I've simplified the mash to a single infusion and sparge. Should you wishing gooing the whole decoction hog, this is the original mashing scheme, kicking off with a cereal mash for the grist:

Just about, but not quite finished, with this particular recipe crop.

More...