Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The updated County Information

It makes a small difference to the percent photographed, the Isle of Man moves up to top place, Manchester drops out and Central Scotland comes in, but then it's easier to photograph a closed pub than to review it

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Here is a more complete data file, it is taken from last nights backup as the query I wrote took 25 minutes to run .

Because we didn't get them at the time it is prohibitively complex to work out the state of play from last October.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Call me a sad geek with too much time if you like
    I was going to say that the most notable difference between you and I is the amount of time we have available until I stopped and thought how many evenings I had spent putting Birmingham into order. I thought about doing some similar analysis but you've saved me the trouble of indulging my particular aptitude ... or obsession, if that's a better word
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Absolutely! I'd be up there tomorrow given half the chance. We did a wildlife boat trip around Stroma, a small uninhabited island just off John O'Groats which is a must if you like that kind of thing although 100,000 guillemots perched in a cove do tend to reek a bit. We also went to the mainland and did the ancient sites (Skara Brae, the Ring of Brodgar etc) which are fascinating plus there are plenty of interesting WW1 & 2 sites as well as Scapa Flow where the German fleet was scuttled.
    Sounds good. I quite fancy hiring a tourer and driving around in a big loop but I wouldn't want midges to spoil my holiday (I accept we can't do anything about the weather). What would be a good time of year?
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    What would be a good time of year?
    This is Scotland we're talking about. There is no good time of the year. You just have to get lucky! We were exceptionally lucky with the weather for the 2 weeks we were up there but there were plenty of midges around in June/July. Another thing to remember is that at the height of summer it doesn't get dark until 11ish so you get long days for exploring.

I must dig out my old photos - there might actually be some of the pubs that I can scan in.

This is Scotland we're talking about. There is no good time of the year.
    I'd just have to do what the Aussies do and talk through gritted teeth to stop me from swallowing any :-}
    Waes hael!

Just spent the second half of the Man U v Munich game fingering my way through the 1000ish photos I took. It was actually 2002 so wasn't as long ago as I thought. For some reason there were plenty of Woolworths that crept into my photos but not a single pub!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

there were plenty of Woolworths that crept into my photos but not a single pub!
    That's just too bizarre, and more than a little unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    That's just too bizarre, and more than a little unsettling.
    It wasn't intentional. I just happened to notice that every High Street photo (Wick, Thurso, Fort William, Oban) centred on a Woolworths. Maybe I should start a Pick N Mix Galore website or a "who's been to the most Woolworth's" thread. Also took some shots on Loch Ness and there this big dragony type thing in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Sounds good. I quite fancy hiring a tourer and driving around in a big loop but I wouldn't want midges to spoil my holiday (I accept we can't do anything about the weather). What would be a good time of year?
    I've done the big loop twice for work (tough job ) and once for pleasure, we went from Aberdeen across to Inverness up the coast to Wick, along the top then down the west coast ending back at Glasgow. Highlights were driving over Applecross, my wife's first sight of Glencoe, "that" cafe in Helmsdale and practically anything in Wester Ross. From experience the best time is late April-early June, you should normally avoid July and August at all costs. The "pubs" are not that special but there are a few gems. I find a suitable dose of alcohol in the blood will discourage midgies.