Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Report A Picture

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Are we suppressing the pictures of when it was shut at the whim of somebody's ideal of utopia or even when it was open when I went in it a few years ago?
    I'm not really sure how to respond to this post. I meant no offence in requesting that some pictures of a boarded up pub, should be repressed. I was just thinking of what users of the main site would think, if they clicked onto The Greyhound Inn page and saw old photos of a pub, that may look different after the refurbishment. (I've seen a current representation of the pub, on their Face Book page, the pub does look different). Once again, sorry if I have caused offence.

If it is any comfort to bcfczulluarmy, I suppressed my own photos of The Umbrella in Cheltenham, after he had posted new photos of the pub.
    Last edited by Lady Grey; 10-01-2017 at 14:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I was just thinking of what users of the main site would think, if they clicked onto The Greyhound Inn page and saw old photos of a pub, that may look different after the refurbishment. (I've seen a current representation of the pub, on their Face Book page, the pub does look different).
    I understand your motives, and indeed I can remember suggesting something similar to Conrad after a pub I knew had completely changed its external paintwork so that old photos no longer represented the modern appearance. He didn't feel the need to suppress the old photos (expressed rather more strongly, as I recall, and not terribly diplomatically) and I have latterly come around to his view. As long as the old photo is a photo of the pub as it was, there's no need to suppress it. My only exemption from that would be, as expressed above, if the pub had been disfigured in some way - scaffolding, fire damage, completely boarded up (not the single boarded window of the Greyhound, in my view). I don't know what the other admins with powers of suppression think about this, as they haven't joined the discussion and there are no written guidelines.

I suppressed my own photos of The Umbrella in Cheltenham, after he had posted new photos of the pub.
    Again, not necessary, in my view; but they're your photos, you can do what you want. Again, I understand your motive in wanting the main site to present the best aspects of each pub, but knowing the quality of your photos I don't think a minor change in appearance would justify suppressing them.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I understand your motives, and indeed I can remember suggesting something similar to Conrad after a pub I knew had completely changed its external paintwork so that old photos no longer represented the modern appearance. He didn't feel the need to suppress the old photos (expressed rather more strongly, as I recall, and not terribly diplomatically) and I have latterly come around to his view. As long as the old photo is a photo of the pub as it was, there's no need to suppress it. My only exemption from that would be, as expressed above, if the pub had been disfigured in some way - scaffolding, fire damage, completely boarded up (not the single boarded window of the Greyhound, in my view). I don't know what the other admins with powers of suppression think about this, as they haven't joined the discussion and there are no written guidelines.
    Thanks for your detailed clarification of the situation, I will make no further comment on the matter.

This Space For Hire

Oh the irony after trying to visit today...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Greyhound 7.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	1434

I always supress old photos of a pub where the frontage has materially changed and will continue to do so.

Not much point having the past on the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I always supress old photos of a pub where the frontage has materially changed and will continue to do so.

Not much point having the past on the front page.
    As long as there's a present of course.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    As long as there's a present of course.
    Of course

Looks like a Google image to me.
    The Sylvan Inn

This Space For Hire

The Sylvan Inn
    Indeed it does/is especially as the antennas on the chimney stacks were removed in 2013 and Streetview is 2012 as the building was due to be demolished after being acquired by ALTIN Homes Limited.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 24-02-2017 at 16:15.

The Sylvan Inn
    Definitely Google. The clouds match exactly! Well spotted.